Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-07-2004 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber

Organic Modelling DVD 1 Problem

I have just got the Organic Modelling DVD, and I am stuck at the beginning. Now, I am NOT a total newbie, as I have been using Maya for nearly a year, but I am having a major problem creating the image planes at the beginning of the DVD. I follow the seeps as Kurt says them, but my image planes look a bit different to his!(see the attached pic). What settings are used? Are the tool settings at default? What units are being used?

I usually do my modelling in C4D ir Lightwave, and use Maya for animation, but I want to learn to model in Maya. Does anybody have any ideas on how to sort out this image plane problem? It is unuseable as it is, and was created using the exact steps Kurt used in the DVD.

Please help!

Attached Thumbnails

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 2 06-07-2004 , 06:49 PM
You look like your using reference planes to set your image plane up....

Try just using a Poly plain and assign the image to the plain like i did in the dvd... Using the poly plain will be alot less work to set up.

I just use the default setting and unites....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 06-07-2004 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the reply Kurt. Unfortunately your advice doesn't help though. I AM using a poly plane and the default settings, but my texture turns out all fuzzy. I followed your steps EXACTLY, but that was the result. The steps I took were:

1) Create a poly plane and centre it using the 'f' key
2) Rotate it 90 degrees in X
3) Duplicate it
4) Rotate te duplicate 90 degrees in Y
5) Open Hypershade
6) Create a Lambert
7) Add a file texture to the node (front image)
8) Select the front plane and right click on the Lambert
9) Select 'Assign to Selected'

Result: Exactly what the attached pic looks like.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 4 06-07-2004 , 07:12 PM
Why do you have a manipluter on you image if its just a poly plain?

Your the first one to have this problem... I'll attached the image plains i have... if that dont work upload the file adn i'll see if i can fix it.....

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 5 06-07-2004 , 07:14 PM
My oringinal image plains.....

Attached Files
File Type: zip imagepropane.zip (130.4 KB, 245 views)

# 6 06-07-2004 , 07:53 PM
try selecting the new lambert and go in to the attribute editor and change the resolution to highest under hardware texturing section...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 06-07-2004 , 08:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
When you click the map icon next to the color attribute and the Create Render Node window opens, at the top, check "Normal" and not "Projection."

# 8 06-07-2004 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help guys! Mike's suggestion fixed it. It seems I had switched to Projection at one point and forgot to switch back. It's always the simple things that are overlooked!

Cheers,
Malcolm