Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-11-2003 , 04:45 AM
Subscriber

Help on Creatures Foot

Hi,

I'm working on this model and I'm a little stumped. I'm wondering if someone could provide some tips on the matter.

My main concern right now is the foot. I would like to create some toes however I don't have enough polygon faces to do so. Presently, I have four...ideally I need five...but I can settle with four. In addition, I need 4 or 5 faces for the space in between the toes. This boils down to the question: how shall I proceed?

I thought of two ways:

1. Use the polygon tool and add all the way up the leg (red)

2. Use the polygon to just to the next edge (orange)

The problem with the first, is I tried that with the hands. Despite, being satisfied with the result, it seems like I had too many polylines running up the arm and down the back. Although avoiding 3pt & 5pt polys it was very crowded in some areas. In fact, I got these nasty seams, so I had to spread them apart.

The problem with the second is that I will get 3pt & 5pt polys if I just stop there at the second edge.

user added image

For those of you who have been down this road before, which one is preferable? Or is any? How would you approach it?

Your expertise is welcome.

--Dan

# 2 18-11-2003 , 05:18 AM
The Maya Mountain
it's true that you want to avoid 3 and 5 sided faces, but it's expected to have a few. You just don't want to have an over-abundance of them.

# 3 18-11-2003 , 05:42 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, mtmckinley.

I remember doing the Dragon's head with 3pts in some areas. Later, I posted the begining stages of my own model and someone said you gotta avoid the 3's and 5's. I took them literally. Way too literally. I redid my entire model and I don't have any to my knowledge, however it was a major pain. Now, I know that I can afford some in moderation...what a relief.

Thanks again,
Dan

# 4 18-11-2003 , 06:13 AM
I would just extrude the 3 faces one at a time mate, each time you extrude, this will leave you a nice line inbetween the toes. Just rember to add a 3 lines for wher the knuckes of the toes will be. Great start on the model by the way.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb

Last edited by Kurt; 18-11-2003 at 06:26 AM.
# 5 18-11-2003 , 06:27 AM
The Maya Mountain
you can do them at the same time, though. Just make sure "keep faces together" is turned off.

# 6 18-11-2003 , 07:56 AM
Subscriber
Great! Thanks for the pointers Kurt and MtMckinley.