Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 121 24-05-2005 , 06:32 PM
Hope this helps, I truely think that the shader is not doing all the work, the lighting and mental ray is a huge part of it to, so I felt I had to post all that. Looking over what I post, I think I went overboard to explain a shader!

Edit

And I'm still learning, if anyone here has a better way of setting up mental ray lighting or anything else, please share!

Last edited by vedic kings; 24-05-2005 at 06:43 PM.
# 122 25-05-2005 , 03:33 PM
whoa im just verwhelmed by the stuff you posted...i will read it now....

# 123 25-05-2005 , 03:40 PM
Wow, im gonna use that! Well, my opinion I like the Maya software render the best, but thats just my opinion. Only mine. The thing is, I have never been able to do the reflection thing, so its a learning explerience for me. user added image Chromatic Abbrtation??? What kind of person came up with that? Why couldnt they just name it chromatic reflection or something. Anyways, your scee looks good. Were you or were you not considering making a short animation clip for it? And where is the first girl you made? The one that looked like the guy? And how about the vehicle? How is that gonna fit in a japanese home? Just wondering. Anyways, its looking awesome, like movie quality. Keep it up, and do make a movie on it please.

Cheers,
,Matt user added image

# 124 25-05-2005 , 03:59 PM
cool i test this lighting/rendering setup on my droideka...

yes pease do an animation!!!!

# 125 25-05-2005 , 04:42 PM
heres the render of an old model with the same setup...looks really realistic and cool thx for the input Vedic!..well judge yourself:

Last edited by Dragonhawk; 25-05-2005 at 05:22 PM.
# 126 25-05-2005 , 05:21 PM
image:

I like the way its rendered around the joint but i dont like the ways it appears on the upper leg...need to remodel it i think...also i want to change the chromatic/diffuse look to a mopre glance/reflective one...when im done with my model

Attached Thumbnails
# 127 25-05-2005 , 05:45 PM
Hey thanks guysuser added image

Hey Dragonhawk, that looks great!!

An animation? uh well, on my computer using mental ray would take way to long to render even one min!! It took almost 30mins just to render that last render above! And no I don't mean the ball, I mean the strange world sceneuser added image

Well then again, I could use maya software renderuser added image

MattTheMan,

The girl that was naked is the same girl that looks evil in the new renders, hehehe... Why do you like the old girl better?

The vehicle, I put on hold for right now, as i'm doing other things like light testing in mental ray. Look below for the render its not that great right now, and I know nothing about cars, and I mean nothing!:headbang:

Well, I hope to have another update soon, that scene is getting hard to work with, as its like a 100MB file! I think I'll do something different with the scene, cause i'm not the happy withright now, its not really what I have in mind, its close, but its mostly the lighting i'm trying to get right!

Yeah that shader was just something I came up with playing around with the settings, And there is not much on the internet on mental ray for maya! So the only way to learn is to mess around with mental ray and lighting settings. I'm glad I could be of some help to you guysuser added image

Heres the vehicle (wip): Like I said i'm not good at vehicle type stuff at all. I still have a long ways to go as you can seeuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 128 25-05-2005 , 06:10 PM
hi i dont understand you scene file is 100mb big? this strange world you mean? then i SERIUOSLY recommend a ....
delete ALL by type -> history
i dont understand why it should be 100mb big lol
check my thread again vedic i updated!

# 129 25-05-2005 , 06:24 PM
100MB??????
What the crap is your machine smoking?
I understand about the animation render... what machine are you running? Also, yeah, you could use maya software render, or even hardware render, but I don't know how that would be faster then Mental Ray by far... I don't use mental ray, nor do I use IPR, and some of my scenes dont turn out horrible at all. Well, keep up the good work on your scene.

Cheers,
,Matt user added image

# 130 25-05-2005 , 07:26 PM
Dragonhawk & MattTheMan,

DH thanks for the tips on delete ALL by type -> history! I didn't know about that! I'm going to give it a try, what does it do anyways? does it delete all unwanted stuff in the scene or what? And I also notice an Optimize scene size option, does that help to?

I'll check out the update on your thread after thisuser added image

MTM,

I have a AMD Athlon xp 2000+ (1.6 overclock @ 2.1) 1gb of ram 250hd space, Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis graphic card.

Well i'm off to make my scene smaller!user added image

Thanks guys for your help!

p.s. that was so funny when you said "what kind of stuff is my computre smoking" LOL!

Last edited by vedic kings; 25-05-2005 at 07:29 PM.
# 131 25-05-2005 , 07:55 PM
Heres the scene

Its 69037 faces, is that alot?

Attached Thumbnails
# 132 26-05-2005 , 10:31 AM
well if you select an model and look in the channel box yo0u should have an endless list of performed commands to get to that model! this list isnt needed anymore..or do you want to change options of the second done "exturde face" option?no u dont so go to edit- delete all by type- history

just try it and save the scene and check the size of it!it has to be MUCH smaller now!

i dont know a Optimize scene size option ...can someone else explain us??i think its nothing important ....

# 133 26-05-2005 , 01:01 PM
ONLY 70000 FACES? 100MB? Yeah, you do know that whwen you do anything, with anything, it creates a node right? Like when you select the item its like PCube12-P12Cube12Shape-PCube12MatteOptions-PCube12Tweak32-PCube12ExtrudeFace... etc. When you delete the history for everything... all of those nodes DISSAPEAR. It helps alot because those nodes are saved, and in intense modeling they are created excessively. Well, 70000 faces isnt that much... shouldnt take up that much space. I have a file with 200000faces that takes up only 3.5 MB. So, it has to be the history problem. Thing is, I have an Athlon too, but mine is a bit stronger then yours, so 70000faces might be much...

Cheers,
,Matt user added image

Last edited by MattTheMan; 26-05-2005 at 01:03 PM.
# 134 26-05-2005 , 04:20 PM
Thanks again guysuser added image

my scene is 91.6MB, when I delete all by type- history its goes down to 89.1MB. But when I go to file> Optimize scene size, and ckeck everything on the list to be Optimize, it takes about a min on my pc. The file size is down to 51.5MB. So I don't really know what it is that is making the file so big. I mean you say 200000 face, and the file is only 3.5 MB? Maybe its my textures?

Well i'll keep looking to find out what it is!

Vedic

# 135 26-05-2005 , 04:23 PM
Yeah, prolly yer textures.

Chers, user added image
,Matt user added image