Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-07-2004 , 08:59 PM

Moving Pivot Point Problems..

I Started Teaching myself how to use Maya 5 about 2 weeks ago.. and so i bought the "Learning Maya 5" and other related books... now my problem is that.. I'm currently working on a project where... I have to

Bind the head into the skeleton, you will constrain the heads position and orientation to match the skeletons top joint

Now my problem is that.. I am following to the steps to move the pivot point of the head to the base of the head and it's not working.. and its pissed me off so much i've started on other projects... can Someone please tell what what im doing wrong??

These are the steps I follow:

1.Select the head surface 2.Select Modify >Center Pivot 3. Select Move tool 4. Press the 'insert key" 5. Move heads pivot to the base of the head 6. Press 'insert' key

**I can never get past the 4th step because unless im dense or something... the object doesn't go into edit mode and I just end up moving the whole head instead of the pivot point... over and over.. :angry: **

Thank you for whatever help you guys/gals can offer me!!
user added image

"How You Like My Nuts to Your Fist Style???"
# 2 12-07-2004 , 09:08 PM
I have also looked at other post in the forum before re-posting this problem..

# 3 12-07-2004 , 11:51 PM
Lifetime Member
well I when I do it I select the object (in this case the head and hit w to selct the move tool then hit insert and it should then allow you to move it to where you need it ...then hit insert again and that it.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 13-07-2004 , 01:12 AM
Well the thing is that I can move the pivot point using the mel commands.. but i don't understand why it woun't work with the steps I have above...

# 5 13-07-2004 , 01:26 AM
The Maya Mountain
does nothing happen when you press the insert key?

# 6 13-07-2004 , 03:34 AM
Nothing happens at all when i hit the insert key... and i've checked to make sure that the insert key is linked with that in the hotkey section.. and i've switched keyboards to see if it was the button and same result..

# 7 13-07-2004 , 03:36 AM
The Maya Mountain
sounds like a bug to me

# 8 13-07-2004 , 05:31 AM
A bug with the Maya 5 Learners Edition?? because that's what I'm using right now.. hehe not enough $$$ for the actual program..

# 9 15-07-2004 , 03:25 AM
user added image Here we go. Let's run a check first to see if the insert key is functioning correctly. Make a cube > select the W hot key for move>select the insert key to enable edit pivot point>grab the yellow square with the dot in it and try and move it in the front, top, or side views>then select insert key to disable edit pivot point. If this works then Maya is configured properly and there is something else wrong, But if this doesn't work then give this a try.

1) Select your object>double click quickly on the move tool icon, this will open your move tool attribute editor>select reset tool.

2)Go to Window>Settings/Preferences>Preferences>Edit>Restore Default Settings>Click Save at the bottom.

3)Go to Window>Settings/Preferences>Hot Keys>Click Restore Defaults>Click Save.

4)Close Maya

5)Reboot your computer and open Maya, try it again to see if it fixed the problem.

Good Luck!

# 10 15-07-2004 , 05:43 AM
I followed your instructions but it did not work unfortunately.. so I tried assigning the edit mode button to my "end" button and that works now.. maybe my insert button does not work or something... but thanks for the info.. on resetting maya the preferences and hotbuttons.. because I've been searching for those options myself!! user added image