Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-12-2017 , 07:44 PM

Problem changing subdivisions on a cyinder

After rotating and upscaling a cylinder I've tried to lower the of subdivision axis and that causes it to deform If anyone can help it's appreciated.
user added image

user added image

user added image

# 2 17-12-2017 , 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Did you scale/rotate while in object mode or were you in component mode? Like selecting all vertices then scaling, for example. If so, then that's the problem because while the user might see it as a simple change in scale, Maya recognizes that as the object's actual shape being altered and no longer knows how to alter it's history accurately. You can kind of cheat and make changes to the object's shape, by using a lattice deformer. It'll allow you to indirectly move components around while being able to edit the construction history if desired. Hope that helps!

- Genny
# 3 17-12-2017 , 09:46 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry but I can't tell whether I'm meant to scale in object or component mode. I scaled it while it was in object mode for the screenshots and it didn't work but when I tried the exact same thing on the computers in the class I'm modelling for it worked how I want it to. I'm not sure what the difference is but I've both repaired then reinstalled Maya so I'm not sure what to do.
EDIT: Also I have no idea what construction history and lattice deformers are.

# 4 21-12-2017 , 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Ah, then it's likely your scale tool settings, reinstalling Maya won't help that since the user settings are saved in different location from the installation files. Go to Modify>Transformation Tools>Scale Tool>options. Set the "Axis Orientation" to the default "object" (you probably changed it without realizing and created the same problem that I described).

- Genny
# 5 22-12-2017 , 08:15 PM
Thanks, that was indeed the case, I misunderstood what you meant by object and component mode but I've changed it now and it works fine I appreciate the help.