Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 26-06-2007 , 06:43 AM
Thanks for the encouragement s2-speedy. I'll do this one just for you so that I'll have extra reason to finish. However, that means you have to finish too.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 32 27-06-2007 , 06:03 PM
Started working on model again...woohoo! Will be workin on it all day today.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 33 27-06-2007 , 09:53 PM
Doesn't look like much progess for the last several hours of work but at least I'm moving foward.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 34 27-06-2007 , 10:20 PM
hehe i intend 2 finish perfecto - with all the nice comments i had i cant let u guys down and my myslef 4 that matter, i said i would finish so i should considering i got most of the modelling done with another month 2 go 2 work on textures,riggin and touch-ups.

urs is lookin better everytime i see it mate. keep goin user added image

# 35 27-06-2007 , 11:13 PM
yeah - nice work perfecto - this is looking alright! might try to give him a bit more definition on the nose.. and maybe a crazy looking kiss tongue! user added image

# 36 28-06-2007 , 12:54 AM
Thanks s2-speedy and arran,
Here's another update with a different angle to mix it up a bit. Yeah, the nose does need something. I'll try and tweak it some more. The hard part for me is keeping it from looking like a human nose. I'll check out a pic of a lion nose or a bat nose and see if I can get an idea. I hope to get the ears done also before I go to bed. I've got a few more hours, if I can last that long.

I got the gum modeling idea from the Hyper-Real Character Thread. Seemed like it'd suit my character as well.

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...5&pagenumber=1

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 37 28-06-2007 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
nice gum line and set of teeth - again looking very good so far - apart from that noise- keep it up

other angle looked better - this one makes him look a bit swished.

# 38 28-06-2007 , 04:07 AM
Last update for tonight. Still not done modeling the ear and I havn't yet started tweeking the nose. Been doing lots of reference hunting on the internet. With dial up it takes for ever.

Thanks tweetytunes, I like the other angle too. I also added some volume to his head and flatened out the cheeks a little. I keep finding myself tweeking here and there, going back and forth. It's all fun though! Can't wait till I can do it for a living (gotta long ways to go though).

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 39 28-06-2007 , 04:58 AM
19 year Veteran
Awsome progress Perfecto! I agree with tweetytunes, the nose needs more character. How about a bat nose?

# 40 28-06-2007 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber
I'm lovin the progress to this model a lot. I was looking around for noses on google images and I typed in demon nose and I came across this image. Maybe you could give your guy a nose something like this... almost not a nose just some holes and wrinkles.

https://www.brilliant-creations.com/i...i_Demon_04.jpg

# 41 28-06-2007 , 01:34 PM
Subscriber
thats a very nice ref pic - nice find there
Rhetoric Camel. Also useful ref for a skin texture

# 42 28-06-2007 , 02:33 PM
Thanks a whole heap Rhetoric Camel! I'll consider modeling a nose like that and will also try googling demon nose for other refs too. Like tweetytunes said, the texturing is really cool. I'd love to be able to create a texture like that but don't think I've got the skills to do something of that quality yet. If I get time to texture, I'll do my best.

Thanks guys

Exceed Expectations!
# 43 29-06-2007 , 12:20 AM
I tried modeling a nose like your reference Rhetoric Camel but it was just way too much work to change the geometry. I tried a lion type nose and it didn't look right. I also tried an ape like nose which was easy to do but it didn't really like the look. So, I ended up making more of a human nose. I really didn't want to but now I kind of like it so I might keep it this way. I might try and add some wrinkles between the eyes and I still need to finish the ears.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 44 29-06-2007 , 01:01 AM
Subscriber
The nose is looking pretty good, one thing that's making the piece lose emotion is that the nose looks more or less like a relaxed nose when muscles in the face should be contorting it a bit. the nostrils could be flared more and could use more arch. Actually if you just grab a mirror and make a snarling face pay close attention to how the nose interacts with the rest of the face.

aside from that I'll wait to see more direction before saying too much user added image maybe those eyes could go lower though. even though you may not be going for a photorealistic human, our minds have been filled with patterns and formulas for how things should look so loosely conforming to basic human proportions is often a good idea.

keep it coming, man.

# 45 29-06-2007 , 01:41 AM
Thanks a bunch Funky Bunnies, I do want emotion so I'll see what I can do about applying your suggestions. Good advice, thanks.

Exceed Expectations!