Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-12-2003 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber

nonmanifold edges on sub-d proxy

HI,
I'm modelling a Porsche 959 in Sub-d's. I modelled only 1 half of the body and used an instanced copy for the other half while I modelled. Now I've finished the body and I want to merge the 2 halves together (I've replaced the instanced copy with a mirror for the merge). I can attatch the 2 Sub-d objects together, but when I switch to poly proxy mode again and try to merge the verts it says that it can't because the edges are nonmanifold.

So, this all creates a few questions...
1) How do people normally merge 2 sub-d objects?
2) What does nonmanifold mean and how can I avoid it in the future?
3) How should I fix my problem?

I'd rather not convert to low-poly, merge, then convert back to sub-d because I'll have to make all my edge creases and tweaks again. But if this is what needs to be done then I guess I'll have to do it.

thanx user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 2 14-12-2003 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
not sure if there would be a loss of quality or not...but

you could try converting it from sub d to polygon then merging verts...then reconvert to subd forgoing polygon proxy mode

i'm not sure if it would mess with the geometry when converting back to subd...but it is worth a shot imo

# 3 15-12-2003 , 03:36 AM
Subscriber
I have done some experimentation with that, Elemenopee, but like I said before I'd prefer to find an alternative method (if there is one) because I don't want to have to redo my tweaks.

If you do the conversions properly (ie. so the poly mesh is identical to the poly proxy) the resulting sub-d mesh after the process theoretically should turn out exactly the way it was before (but merged of course).... but when I tried this it lost most of the creases i had made and then randomly and assymmetrically added creases in other places!

Unfortunately my 3 questions still remain.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 4 15-12-2003 , 09:58 PM
user title spammer
easy solution:

step 1 (dont know by the way if its really required).
use Subdiv - > mirror instead of simple duplicate & mirror

step 2 attach the two suDs (subdiv-> attach)

step 3 go into polygon mode select the verts (all edge-verts on or simply just select all verts and use the "merge vertices" with a distance setting of around 0,001 at this stage the SubD might disappear, dont care about it

step 4 select the polygon grid of the SubD and polygon->cleanup (all settings UNchecked, except the non-manifold settings), execute it

now the subD surface should re-appear and you should be happy with it.

# 5 15-12-2003 , 10:00 PM
user title spammer
your question 2:
nonmanifold means something like incompatible edges ... like one normal pointing up the next one pointing down and you try to merge those edges ... there is a good discription in the maya-help, just look for nonmanifold

you can´t avoid it in all cases ... but with the cleanup command you don´t need to care about it ...

what i forgot: merge the edges afterwards as well ...

# 6 16-12-2003 , 04:51 AM
Subscriber
Thanks!! user added image

It wasn't exactly the solution, but I ran the cleanup operation several times on faces/edges/verts and that seems to have fixed the nonmanifold problem and let me merge.