Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-01-2007 , 03:02 PM

Inspired by MattTheMan

I was rather inspired by Matt's entry into CGsphere (https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=24453), and a couple of threads where people had made wine glasses, so I thought to myself, what can I do? So I am currently having a go at a Klein Bottle. For those of you who don't know whata klein bottle is, basically it is a 3D object with a single surface, unbroken by edges. A sphere for example has two surfaces (inside and outside) and a plane has two (top and bottom) whereas a mobius strip has one and a klein bottle is the case where there are no edges at all.

Anyway, the model is complete (took about 30 minutes to do) but now I have to work on the lighting and texturing so you can actually see what it is. I think I might drop some liquid into it too. I'll post pics as soon as they are available

# 2 14-01-2007 , 03:27 PM

here it is.

here is a first render. Done with basic raytracing and a blinn with high transparency and refractive index of 1.5. It's not that clear that it's a klein bottle, and if anyone has any suggestions, they would be most welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 14-01-2007 , 03:34 PM
different angle and a lower index seems to make it clearer. I think if I fire some liquid into the hole, it will shoot around the handle and into the volume of the cup. I'll have to fire up realflow.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 14-01-2007 , 03:44 PM
and a production quality render of the scene above. I have just realised I can have two unmixed drinks in the same cup, and get to both of them with straws. Orange or apple juice anyone user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 14-01-2007 , 08:38 PM
I don't understand what you mean exactly... if a sphere is solid it has no inside, just an outside. And that's exactly the same thing with your model. It's just a regular cup as far as I can see...

# 6 14-01-2007 , 08:40 PM
The material settings are looking good soa far, but the model I feel could do with some work as like you say it dosent really look like a klien bottle at the moment, maybe open up one ofthe openings a bit?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 14-01-2007 , 09:08 PM

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
I don't understand what you mean exactly... if a sphere is solid it has no inside, just an outside. And that's exactly the same thing with your model. It's just a regular cup as far as I can see...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_Bottle

this describes it better. It's not a regular cup, just not showing up so well at the moment.

# 8 14-01-2007 , 09:31 PM
Ok, understand a little better now... however I still think yours' looks like a normal cup....

From wikipedia:

Curve the neck back on itself, insert it through the side of the bottle without touching the surface (an act which is impossible in three-dimensional space),

That can give you some problems user added image

# 9 15-01-2007 , 08:24 AM

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
Ok, understand a little better now... however I still think yours' looks like a normal cup....

I agree it does at the moment, but I need a way of differentiating the volumes. I am thinking of doing it by putting two (unmixed) drinks in it and having a straw to each one.

If you look at the middle and bottom pictures, you can just about see that the cup is not solid, but there is a cavity between the outer glass (that you would hold) and inner glass (that would hold the liquid). Looking at the top picture, the bottom part of the handle is a hole that runs from the "cup" section right through this cavity. if you follow the hole in the handle round, it joins onto the outer part of the cup. I might just post the scene after I am done so you can see what I mean. I still don't know if it will ever look good enough to see this clearly.

Last edited by Radical Edward; 15-01-2007 at 08:27 AM.
# 10 15-01-2007 , 01:40 PM
it is a bit clearer when I shove liquids into it. The red liquid is being poured (shot) into the glass from above, and flows into the handle. the orange liquid is from inside the glass and pours into the space in the glass surrounding the main cup.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 15-01-2007 , 01:53 PM
and a render from another angle.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 17-01-2007 , 01:44 AM
Just to say that I am abandoning this one. I am having trouble making it look like anything other than a normal cup. If anyone else wants to play with it I can post the mb file.