Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-01-2009 , 02:47 AM

Layered Shader

Hi everyone

IV set up a layered shader following a video tutorial containing a orange Blinn and psd file and on the dvd the user is able to view the shader in the viewport but i am not. Iv searched for hours and redone the tutorial numerous times and can not find anything on this. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Last edited by 3dpassion; 05-01-2009 at 03:36 AM.
# 2 05-01-2009 , 08:56 AM
i might be wrong - but i don't think layered shaders are necessarilly viewable in the viewport. it may depend on what version of maya that you're using. i would worry more about how it looks when rendered. it may also be though, that your layered shader is just not set up right or you have a blank layer which is sitting on top of the rest. post up a pic of your viewport and shader network so we can see what's going on.

# 3 05-01-2009 , 09:12 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
ive often found that layered shaders dont show up in the viewport....

# 4 05-01-2009 , 07:43 PM

Screen Shot

Hi iv attached an image to better explain my problem. on the the top left is my bike in the viewport and in the top right is the completed file found on the tutorial dvd once opened. for some reason i can view the shader in my viewport if i open the already completed file from the dvd, but if i make it myself, exactly the same, i get this grey shader instead. At render time both images look the same its just in the viewport, which makes me think its a setting somewhere but i cant find it. hardware rendering and high-quality render don't make a difference to the problem. Im using maya 2009 by the way if that makes any difference.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 05-01-2009 , 08:04 PM
Its probably due to your graphics card not being up to the job, OR try switching on high quality rendering in the viewport, if it is a qualified card.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 06-01-2009 , 12:38 AM
Iv got a Nvidia Quadro fx 3700 a high quality professional graphics card so it isn't that. Also it works when i load that file of the dvd so it can display it, it just doesnt when i construct it my self. And iv tried high quality rendering and that doesn't fix it. Thanks for idea though.