Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-03-2003 , 12:11 PM

Colour Bleeding

I´ve been playing around a bit with mental ray with Global Illumination and Final Gather for maya4.5 and came up with this pic:

user added image

I´ve played around with all values i coul find, but I couldn´t get rid of the colour the Lego pieces make on the floor.. some1 knows how to get rid of the colour spreading on the floor?

thx in advance

-- lurifrax
# 2 02-03-2003 , 12:32 PM
i don't use MR, but have you tried reducing the incandesance?

# 3 02-03-2003 , 01:19 PM
Hi,

this excess colour bleeding is a phenomonen of FG. Each object 'radiates'/bleeds its colour onto another object which in turn illuminates the area around it.

select the shader in the hypershade and open Attribute editor for that shader. Under the standard Maya attributes you should see the MR attributes. open and decrease the value of the Irradiance colour. Also try adjusting the Irradiance value just above.

Note that Irradiance is also responsible for the amount of FG a shader receives not just emits.

Hope this helps.
Check out this link xsi base. Xsi uses Mental Ray as its standard renderer. Some settings/names may be different but the principles apply to Mental Ray for Maya. See how he uses a MIX of GI and FG to achieve the effects shown down the page.

Also note that in Mental Ray for Maya accuracy for final Gathering is basically No. of Rays. In xsi it is called 'accuracy'.

Have fun!

https://www.xsibase.com/cgi-bin/yabb/...num=1039191370

re Jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....

Last edited by Jim; 02-03-2003 at 01:22 PM.
# 4 02-03-2003 , 01:33 PM
thanks.

-- lurifrax