Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-08-2002 , 02:25 PM
Kevin

Part 1 & 2 of the VIP hand Modeling Tutorial

This tutorial covers a the first 2 movies of a 3 part hand modeling tutorial!

You will learn how to build the hand from scratch - manipulate CV,s - use full and partial creases, detaching and attaching sub division surfaces and loads more

The hand tutorial is about 45 mins long in all so although I didnt have time to take it to as a point where I was really happy with, it will get you well on your way....

--------------------------------------------

1. Download part 1 of the hand tutorial movie here 15 mg (23 mins)

2. Download part 2 of the hand tutorial movie here 12 mg (17 mins)

------------------------------------------------------

You will need winzip to unzip the movie and the latest windows media player

Enjoy!

# 2 07-08-2002 , 02:54 PM
That thumb is killing me lol great tut Kevin very informative gonna do it a couple more times so I don't have to have the video running the whole way lol.

You Can't Kill Me And Eat Me To!!!
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
# 3 07-08-2002 , 02:56 PM
Kevin
cool nut! just remember to keep pressing pause user added image

yep them thumbs are a real git!

I screwed mine up, but its ok, as you can always go in afterwards and sort it out user added image

# 4 07-08-2002 , 03:25 PM
GRRRRRR!!! that damn thumb is going to kill me....maybe the guy won't have one that will teach him to be such a pain in the ass LOL

# 5 07-08-2002 , 03:29 PM
Kevin
yeah ..i hear ya mate! ... is it the attachment of the thumb, or the bit prior to that where you pull down the thumb knuckle shape?

keep smiling nut! it is tough...

# 6 07-08-2002 , 09:39 PM
Hey Kevin. That hand looks great. I plan to give the tut a shot when I have a chance to download it.

Quick question. Does the introduction of the "New V.I.P. Area" mean that there will be less attention paid to the main area? I live in Canada and 9.95 pounds converted to canadian is some big bucks a month. I was really enjoying this site too!

Tony.

# 7 07-08-2002 , 10:00 PM
Kevin
no mate, no less attention paid to this area at all, I just wanted to show this tut to you guys as a lot have asked about hand modeling..

thing is, i cant put large tutorials like this up in the free section to often, as we have had 6,500 downloads of the free tutorials and this one is like 51 mins long...

that many people downloading this tut would kill the server so we would all suffer due to the server working overtime!

so now and again its ok, but generally the free ones will be smaller in size... as where if there are vips paying....those are the guys kepping the site up so hence the bigger and more invovled tutorials in there section... this site has 4 servers running it, so the cost is very big

i know 9.95 pounds may seem a lot to you and i wouldnt want to justify the cost... but 1 book would cost me 30-40 pounds... and 2 movies from blockbusters a month would cost me 7 pounds.... well you get my point mate

so for the movies and information that is available in the vip area is well worth it in my opinion... but i hear you mate, and i am gratefull for your comments.

# 8 07-08-2002 , 10:08 PM
Kevin
one small point on the hand...

as I wasnt thinking of taking this "all the way" you guys might want to try using "quads" instead of the triangles i used on the polysplit tool..

I wasnt going to put much detail on the back of the hand so this didnt worry me but quads are easier to work with if you guys want to...

the quads are easier if you are adding a lot of detail so...anyways its up to you guys!

see image below:

# 9 07-08-2002 , 11:26 PM
Cavalt,
To be honest that does "sound" like alot of money and remember this is one guys opinion but before the VIP section opened up I went out and bought the Maya fundamentals book and the quick start guide and to be perfectly honest The information I have gotten just off the tuts in the vip section has made these books almost obsolete..I'm not saying the books are bad or that you can't learn from them, it's just that the tuts are very well made and are very easy to understand...again to be honest I don't think I would have bought the books if the vip section would have been up..some people learn better by text I seem to be one that learns better "over the shoulder" you are looking at $100 just for the books and thats alot of trial and error where as the tutorials you get literaly what you seeuser added image not to mention if you have a problem with the book who are you going to call? With the SimplyMaya site you just ask and 15 people will answer youuser added image
anyway thats my opioion take it for what its worthuser added image
3DNut

# 10 08-08-2002 , 06:17 PM
Sorry guys. I wasn't complaining about the price of the new vip area. I was just curious to find out if this was the begining stage in converting simplymaya.co.uk to a full pay site.

I'm sure it's well worth the price. The videos are extreamly helpfull and I appreciate Kevin for taking the time to put them together and serve them for free!! I really enjoy this community and that is what I do not wish to loose.

B.T.W. I bought Maya 4 Fundamentals for $48.99 Canadian. That would be about 24 pounds.

Cheers guys!!
user added imageuser added image

# 11 08-08-2002 , 06:39 PM
lol we didn't think you were, all I was saying is it's worth the priceuser added image
The simplymaya site will remain the same as far as I know, the VIP area is an "extra" perk. They will be adding more video tuts to the free area soon as well. So have fun and enjoy the site it aint going anywhereuser added image

# 12 08-08-2002 , 08:27 PM
Supreme Being

Originally posted by 3DNut
So have fun and enjoy the site it aint going anywhereuser added image

you can say that again.. :p
we're here to help out as many who want to learn.. and we're gonna be here for as long as we can...
you won't get rid off us easily.. muahahahahaha

# 13 09-08-2002 , 07:38 AM

Hmmm...

Isn`t this a tutorial from Maya Book (subdiv hand tutorial also found in help) ?

# 14 10-08-2002 , 01:02 AM
nah dude nothing like it. kevin lets you see how to apply creases. connect subd objects. alot of cool stuff.

# 15 14-09-2002 , 05:31 PM
Kevin I Just register To day and i wacthed half of your hand tutorial and now i'm a master of maya LOL
Great Job Kev

Ilker