Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-10-2015 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber

Mental Ray not working in Maya 2015

Hi

I recently installed maya 2015 and just yesterday realized that Mental Ray is not loaded into the plugins. I did the usual by configuring the plugin manager but nothing changed. Based on online documentation Maya requires SP6 so I installed it and still nothing is happening. I'm left wondering what the problem may be?
Is it possible that I need to install all previous versions of the Service Pak or would the latest version, SP6, cover all the previous ones?

In any case, I'm still stuck and would appreciate any help from somebody who understands what and were the problem is.

Thank you.

# 2 28-10-2015 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
You have to download the mental ray package separately from Autodesk Maya Website and install it. Then it should work as usual.

# 3 28-10-2015 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber
Unfortunately, that just isn't working. I think I'll just upgrade to Maya 2016

Thanks

# 4 28-10-2015 , 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
When you say "not working", are you hitting render and nothing is happening or are you getting errors? And yes I would suggest staying up to date withe service packs.

- Genny
# 5 19-11-2015 , 07:53 AM
I think I mentioned in a post a couple of months back that if you have a dodgy file its best to save it as an .MA although the file size is bigger, its cleaner. It particularly helps uvs from breaking too in an MB file format.