Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-02-2011 , 01:31 PM

Very Basic Connection Editor Question

Ok, it´s all about bump mapping here.

My ridiculous problem is that even after 7 years of using maya extensivly it seems that I cannot even make the simplest connection work via the Connection Editor.

I have my shader and want to map a black/white texture to the bump channel using the Attribute Editor. Render. Fine.
(ConnectionEditor says: outalpha -> bumpvalue; the texture.message seems to be connected to something as well, but I cannot find any node where this link is showing up)

Now trying the same by selecting another texture (basically the same texture but created by the Hypershade´s sidebar) and linking its outalpha with bumpvalue of my bump2d via the Connection Editor. Render. No bump happening.

It seems that the only way to make bumpmapping work is to hit the map button within the shader itself. What am I missing here? And what´s the texture.message connected to?

thanks and sorry for the stupid question

___________edit__________
sorry for question, its working again. I have no idea whats going on

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by Falott; 05-02-2011 at 01:49 PM.
# 2 05-02-2011 , 02:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Are you using an MR shader mate by any chance???

Jay

# 3 05-02-2011 , 04:33 PM
I have a misss_fast_skin_maya in use. but it must have been a temporary bug or something because it´s all working again.

# 4 05-02-2011 , 04:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Fallott

Cool.

A word of warning though with MR materials and the bump node, it doesnt like them very much so plugging a set normal node into the bump first then plug your texture in usually corrects the issue, just one of those little nuggets that come in handy

cheers
Jay

# 5 06-02-2011 , 08:00 AM
thanks for the hint Jay!

I´ll keep that in mind. it´s always funny how very small differences concerning the order of working steps make things work in maya - or not.