Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-09-2002 , 10:59 AM

Help needed: Funk Maya Plugins

Okay, I come calling out for help from those of you whose brains swell unbearably with knowledge!

I need help with the Maya API, specifically integrating an MFC program into it.

I need to have some custom nodes that have their own attribute editor bits, then I need to open a window that displays my own OpenGL rendering of the current scene. I need to be able to access polygonal mesh data for the scene and finally I need to hit a render callback, not only when you click the render button, but also for each frame of a batch render.

Phew! That's quite a lot! The most difficult and important part I think will be the window with the OpenGL rendering (I really can't do this is a viewport), it's essentially to allow me to edit my custom drawing stuff, so I can't really do it in a normal viewport

If anyone has any experience of any of these bits, or knows anyone who does, can you please, please get in touch with me!

Thanks!

# 2 18-09-2002 , 11:10 AM
<-- stutters .. what the hell did you just talked about?

sorry ... just joking

# 3 18-09-2002 , 02:53 PM
Kevin
dam I have trouble saying your name let alone intergrating MFC into API user added image

just j/k mate user added image

if i hear or see anything or anyone that could do this I will give you a call.

and welcome to SM mate!

# 4 18-09-2002 , 02:54 PM

I've created an OpenGL app using MFC before. Just find an Openl MFC framework tutorial (there are a few around - start at gamedev.net). Basically what you do:

1). Create an SDI app
2). Create a dialog (something to drop your buttons and junk on to)
3). Then you create a "static" control item (from the tool box of crap with button, picture, option, checkbox etc..), or an image or something similar. This will be your OpenGL rendering context. For your basic MFC app (use the wizard) you'll want to override the 'run' method in the '(NAMEOFYOURAPP)main.cpp' file and create your own rendering/message handling loop.

Not sure about all the Maya stuff, but I might be able to help once you get further along with it all.

# 5 19-09-2002 , 08:58 AM
Kevin: Thanks for the welcome! it's just "ch00ns" for short, I know it's a mouthful but then so's my real name so I'm used to it. Damn, should have picked something slightly easier, like "Bob".user added image

blip: Hehe, I can do an OpenGL app with MFC no problem! Well, haven't tried an MDI yet: MFC gives me nightmares, tho once you've got your application and drawing code all hooked up and working properly, building an app round it is really rather easy.

My problem is getting what is essentially a stand-alone app to interface with Maya. on www.secretlevel.com they have an example of how to do this, in fact they draw a custom panel with Internet Explorer in it. The code doesn't look that hard, just a pain in the arse to get your head round.

After giving this much consideration, I think I'm going to do my app using RenderMan. It's a shame not to have it as a Maya plug, but interfacing with PRMan is going to be so much easier, especially since I need to drag a whole load of low-level information out of the renderer.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll keep you updated on how I do!

Oh, btw the app is going to be a non-photorealistic renderer, like for doing paint, pencil, or whatever other funky media your mind can imagine!