Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-12-2002 , 11:23 PM

Scene 1

Sorry deleted the first thread by mistake. Well the 1st scene is pretty much done, might add a bit more off setting to the arms, but over all im pretty happy with it so far. Its about 7 hours or work.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 21-12-2002 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber
I like that Kurt, excellent job!

Steven C.
# 3 21-12-2002 , 03:45 AM
Thanks bud... hopefully the other scene will go as smooth=).

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 4 21-12-2002 , 07:43 PM
Kurt,

That's looking pretty nice. Only a couple of comments:

The left arm looks a little stiff. I might add a bit motion in the wrist or the elbow to loosen it up a bit.

The camera dolly seems to go on a bit too long, IMO. I think it should stop as right after the door opens up and before the kid steps out. The continued motion is distracting.

Keep up the good work!

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 21-12-2002 , 07:57 PM
Thanks danny i'll try your suggestions. I will just offset the arms and wrist abit more. Thanks for the crit=)

# 6 21-12-2002 , 09:41 PM
Nice one! Keep it up!

Some comments:
When he looks around the corner of the door, it happens rather quickly. I'm not sure what the action should be but maybe it would look better if he stayed at the positon of looking left (his right) just a few frames. I hope you understand what I mean.

Another point:
From what I've observed people seem to turn their eyes before they turn their head when looking at something.

I'm not an animation guru so don't take these comments too seriously user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 21-12-2002 , 10:42 PM
Kb... ya I do have the eyes moving before the head it just really hard to see in such a small playblast. Ill try and make his wait a bit longer too=)

Thanks

# 8 21-12-2002 , 10:45 PM
Regarding the eyes, KB's point is valid. People sometimes turn their eyes before they move their heads. Something that is actually more common is that people blink as they turn their heads. It's sort of like a built in camera cut for a scene change. Without the blink, everything is a blur, and it takes a brief moment for the eyes to readjust to their new positions. Observe people and watch their eyes as they talk and look around. They usually blink as they turn their heads.

Danny Ngan
# 9 22-12-2002 , 01:21 AM
Played a bit more with the scene, camera stop like danny suggested. Also played with the wrists and eyes a bit. Im finding it a bit harder to get the arms/elbows nice and lose because I used IK's instead of FK for the arms like I normally do. Over all im happy with it and im going to start on scene 2 and come back to one after a bit.

Thanks for the crits everyone, helped a lot.

# 10 22-12-2002 , 01:58 AM
How about putting some ease in / out (a little acceleration and deceleration) to the camera motion?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 11 22-12-2002 , 06:57 PM
Ok played a bit more with it. Danny I lossened up the arms a wrists bit more. KB I added a bit of a wait when he looks around the door. Think its time to move on to scene 2=)

# 12 22-12-2002 , 09:17 PM
The arms are looking good. Timing is much improved too on both the character and the camera. Move on to Scene 2. After a while, you may decide you need to come back and redo some stuff. user added image

Danny Ngan