Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 02-10-2013 , 12:20 AM

MAYA question on using curve tool to create subdivisions on mesh

I learned this technique way back like 2-3 years ago. But due to national service,i've little room to practise and the technique was forgotten altogether.I only roughly remember the process.

You use the curve tool(ep i think,under dynamics) to create your desired pattern(let's say a strand of hair).
You create a plane(can't remember whether it was a surface or polygon) and snap the edge? to the tip of the curve.
You then add subdivisions by increasing the number of subdivisions under the properties bar.The mesh would then follow the curve.The more subdivisions there are,the more it would become congruent with the curve.

# 2 02-10-2013 , 08:08 AM
it sounds like you are thinking of extruding a polygon along a curve. For this you select a polygon and then a curve and then choose extrude from the polygon edit menu. You can adjust the number of divisions in the resulting extrude node to more precisely follow the shape of the curve.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675