Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-04-2014 , 07:03 AM

Problems with UV mapping (distorted maps)

Hi,

I would like to colorize a model for myself for the first time. (Always used mudbox for this until now) So I have to work with UV mapping. The problem is, that I can't get rid on some problems I have, especially with distorted maps.

What I would like is that the polygons in the UV map have the same proportions as the polygons they belong to on the model. I have some photos to explain:

https://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/...ps446f7b84.jpg
These shapes should look the same since the models are the same as well. Also, the lines, should be perpendicular or parallel to each other. (except for the edges in the edges,... hehe)

Second example:
https://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/...psb962e3ec.png
You can see the model in this one. I want the lines (for example the one marked red) to be straigth since the original is straight as well.

I used unfold for most parts but this doesn't seem to make them as straight as I would like. Like I said, I want the maps to have the same proportions as the polygons from the model.

I also have another question: Regarding the first example. Is there a way to automaticly scale and rotate every "object" (UV map?) to match the others? Do this by eye is anoying and takes to much time, i think.

Thats it. I hope you can help me with my UV problem. user added image (Sorry for spelling mistakes or my bad english. Not my native language)

Thanks in advance!
Greetings

# 2 02-04-2014 , 04:54 PM

# 3 02-04-2014 , 05:18 PM
Hi,

this is at least something in the right direction. (I get straigth lines! user added image ) What do you mean with transfering attributes?

Thanks!

# 4 02-04-2014 , 06:03 PM
https://download.autodesk.com/global/...ber=d30e176760

This allows you to transfer different properties of similar or identical meshes. I use it a bunch in terms of retopology. Sometimes I can retopo an object and then transfer the old UVmap to the new one with minimal breaking. Otherwise I would have to retexture and ReUV otherwise. It saves hours of time.

# 5 02-04-2014 , 06:32 PM
This seems quite neat but can I use this with faces and not objects? Like selecting some faces and transfering the UV's to an other group of faces?

(Thanks for your help, those two things will help a bunch already!)

# 6 03-04-2014 , 03:19 AM
Split the object out into sep polygon objects. Then then transfer the UV's from cube object to cube object.

# 7 03-04-2014 , 06:11 AM
Hehe, sounds legit. user added image

Ok, thanks for all the tips! This already solves most of my problems I had with the UV editor.

However, I somehow still would like a funktion like "transform UV face to match polygon". ;D

Greetings!