Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-10-2011 , 09:19 PM
Acid44

Any way to get my model back from a crash file?

I was working on my Mercedes and it crashed when I tried to bevel something, I opened the crash file and it seemed to work so I saved it as a .mb, then tried to open that .mb to make sure it saved right, then it crashed again, and keeps crashing when I try to open the .mb or the crash backups.

Is there any way to get it back? I haven't saved in a few hours, and have done quite a lot since D:

The attached zip has the MA from the crash aswell as the MB I saved after, they're from Maya 2012

EDIT: Uhh, nevermind. I searched the MA file for anything relating to "cubeshape" and I guess I found the cube I made and beveled before the crash cause I deleted that line along with the next one referencing the bevel in a text editor and it seems to work now... Gonna clean up the scene as much as I can now and try a few things to make sure I won't run in to that again user added image

EDIT2: Undo doesn't work in that scene now, any ideas?

EDIT3: God I can be a twat sometimes. It was disabled in preferences, but not saying to in the help line. Enabled it again and all seems to be fine.

Attached Files
File Type: zip 190E.zip (821.2 KB, 387 views)

Last edited by Acid44; 28-10-2011 at 09:37 PM.
# 2 28-10-2011 , 10:42 PM
Ever sice I started using Maya 2012, you know - The Special Crash Edition of Maya, I have had to turn on the autosave every 5 minute option. I keep the last 12 copies so I always have 1 hour of work in 5 minute increments saved.

The fun thing is even this causes Maya 2012 to crap itself. If you are in the middle of a tool when the autosave kicks off Maya cancels the tool and sometimes this will actually cause Maya to lose its mind and crash.

I also love that new feature when you open a file and all the god damn textures are either gone or Maya is in wire frame mode (4-key) even though you know you saved the file in shaded mode.

Oh and the latest goodness that has started is I go to open the render globals or the render view and get a black empty window and a nasty-gram in the message pane about "The objectTab being invalid" and the only way to fix it is to delete your god damn maya folder and all your prefences and hotkeys and shelf and scripts and either now spend the day rebiulding them instead of modeling or do what I did and keep a copy of the last good maya folder and every time I add a button, shlef, script I have to rember to save a new copy of that bloody folder!

Maya 2012 is a mess!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 28-10-2011 at 10:49 PM.
# 3 28-10-2011 , 10:47 PM
The thin red line
What hope for maya 2013..........LOL..........dave

# 4 28-10-2011 , 10:51 PM

What hope for maya 2013..........LOL..........dave

Well it can only improve because short of causing your machine to burst into flames, I cannot imagine it getting more unstable!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 28-10-2011 , 11:40 PM
Acid44
All too true. It wouldn't be so bad if it were one or two problems repeating themselves, then I could find a way to get around them, but the amount of problems this version has makes it impossible. Try to get around one and you get stomped by another

# 6 29-10-2011 , 12:33 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I guess sometimes not being able to afford the latest version is a good thing user added image
Glad you got it fixed.

# 7 29-10-2011 , 01:04 AM
Is anyone but me getting the display refresh bug?

All of a sudden the display stops refreshing! You select components and do not see anything highlight, you move components and nothing moves, you press undo and nothing is undone, you press undo again, and again and again, then scratch you head and rotate the camera to see wtf is going on and ... BOOM! ... everything updates and of course your model is back to a cube!

When this starts the only way I have found to fix it is suffer through it for some period by selcting things, nudge the camera, move things, nudge the camera, deselect things, nudge the bloody camera.....

or close and reopen maya and get another 15 minutes to an hour of work done before the display stops updating again, or you crash, or you open things like the render view and globals panel and just get empty window frames, .....

That is part of the reason I have not had any interest in modeling anything lately, the constant distractions and interruptions just destroy any creative flow you might have.

Last edited by ctbram; 29-10-2011 at 01:09 AM.
# 8 29-10-2011 , 01:32 AM
Acid44
Oh, I love that display bug. I've undone entire parts of cars before from not realising it. Last time it was a windscreen wiper, before that a front bumper.

It kind of sucks having to fight through the rage and model anyways, can be a real downer to hate something so much when I used to love it

# 9 29-10-2011 , 03:49 AM
and what is really annoying is that when you post bug reports on the official channels you do not hear word one back and when you post the bugs in the forums you get a bunch of a-holes blaming everyone else - its not maya, its your graphics card, your drivers, your system components, the phase of the moon, the months with "e's in their name, your shoe size...

It really pisses me off when people will not take responsibility for their mistakes! No autodesk don't take responsibility, point fingers, and get busy working on the next upgrade release so you can charge more money for something with the same bugs that people will buy hoping to get out from under the current POS version.

And a close second is people that try to bury their heads up their asses pretending the problems do not exist, like being afraid to tell the emperor he has no close. Because we all know it's better to be a cheerful, smiley ass wipe then the guy that lifts his head up and has the courage to say "wait that is not right".

One luxury I have is I can waste the time trying to hash out the bugs (I have no production deadline) and so I can spend the time dealing with the frustrations in the hope that maybe the problems I find can be isolated and dealt with properly but the level of disinterest from autodesk is annoying. My system, hardware, software, and drivers are well within the specs for running Maya. I have given Autodesk a complete audit of my system specs, and still they try to blame the system in some way yet cannot point out a single component or driver that is not within the minium system requirements!

I use a good number of very graphics intensive apps and none have the problems of Maya 2012, even within the same family ie maya 2011, 10, 09, and 08, I have not seen the kind of bugs that are in 2012!

Last edited by ctbram; 29-10-2011 at 04:20 AM.
# 10 29-10-2011 , 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Bevel has made me become a bit cautious of more complex models with history. Ctbram, I really avoid certain forums, especially if its software issue thread, the d-bags outnumber the helpful people.

Tony's blogging? o_O Not to hijack the the thread but I'm adding you to my blogroll, if that's cool of course.

- Genny
# 11 29-10-2011 , 08:01 PM
Acid44
The bevel that killed me was on a cube. Just a cube. A freaking cube. A cubey cube.

Couldn't help it. Love that word user added image

Anyways, we need a thread dedicated to trashing 2012. So many threads now have turned into that, not that it's a bad thing, it shouldn't have been released with so many issues in the first place. The sad thing is, a lot of people (me included) were looking forward to 2012 SO MUCH for the new features. In my case it was viewport 2.0, it was supposed to finally give me a way to see just how my models would look in-game, but the package is just so damn broken as a whole that it isn't worth it to even try using viewport 2.0 at most times.

I miss Alias. Maya 7 is still the best in my eyes.

# 12 01-11-2011 , 09:32 PM
Acid44
Right. Anyone want to try to get the polygonal surface from this (The one nurbtopoly1 or whatever it's called)? Just happened again after a few hours work. And this time it's not a personal project >_<

So how do I enable that incremental save thing?

# 13 01-11-2011 , 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
It should be in the Files/Projects section in the pref editor window.

- Genny
# 14 01-11-2011 , 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Tried to open it, Maya went down in flames.

- Genny
# 15 01-11-2011 , 10:46 PM
Acid44
Yeh, that's how it goes for me aswell. Tried deleting the last few operations (another bevel killed it) and opening it, but to no avail. It opened fine, but the model isn't there, it's in the outliner, and selecting it shows it's history, but it doesn't show up.