Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-03-2004 , 07:01 PM

osnap?

Hey All,

In my techdrawing class I have been using the Rhino program, and have found it extremely easy to create 3d objects then combine them using Osnaps(currently creating a car for a contest).

I am going off to college later this year(for computer animation) and wanted to familiarize myself with Maya a bit before shipping off. I am having a bit of difficulty making objects using Nurbs(mainly with trying to manipulate the object), so all I am using right now is polygonal objects since I know how to get the objects face and then deform it and whatnot.

Back to the Point.

However I was wondering if Maya has an Osnap system? Rhino has Osnap which has helped me out alot in creating some of my things, but I am having a lot of difficulty trying to align objects and combine them in maya. All I can find is the little magnets on the toolbar to point or face...but I cant get anything to actually snap together along a face or to a point.

Does Maya do this or do I just need to eyeball it???

Oh and I'm using Maya Personal Learning Edition.

Thanks in Advance!!

Dan user added image

# 2 09-03-2004 , 09:48 PM
Check out Modify->Snap align objects.
There's a few tools for aligning and snapping objects there. The Snap Together tool will snap one object to another using faces seleced by the user for example.

I haven't used them much myself, I'm mostly into organic modelling.

# 3 09-03-2004 , 10:34 PM
I used Rhino before my switch to maya. I sugest you read the docs and look for tuts on the magnets and get familier with the basic tools, or you will tear your hear out.

# 4 10-03-2004 , 06:36 PM
Hehe, allright thanks guys...

the Osnaps make things soooo much easier user added image