Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-01-2003 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber

Firewire

i got my "firewire" capture board a long long time ago and i just read the readme for the drivers, and it cant capture movies! just still imges!! i thought the board just functions as a link between camera and computer? i thought it was the program u use that affects what you can capture? am i wrong?

anyone know of a capture board that can capture video?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 10-01-2003 , 08:10 PM
Subscriber
You can try something from the Pinnacle products...I can't tell you if they are good or not because i dont have a digital cam but it looks really nice!

https://www.pinnaclesys.com/

-Emo

# 3 10-01-2003 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
oh no im not lookin for packages of stuff like that, just a firewire board, u no, a pci thing with a firewire slot, thats all, that will work right?

- Simon

# 4 10-01-2003 , 08:18 PM
Nem: Sounds like your card isn't OHCI (Open Host Controller Interface) compatible. Almost all newer cards are and you can use them with most of the video editing software out there. I have a cheap pinnacle card and it works just fine with premiere and my Canon XL1s camcoder.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 10-01-2003 , 08:22 PM
Subscriber
any recommendations on a particualr OHCI card?

- Simon

# 6 10-01-2003 , 08:25 PM
Well, it depends what you want. Do you for example need any special features like real-time filters and transitions or would a basic "capture" card do the trick? If you're after a basic card, I think anything will do as long as it is OHCI. For the real-time and more pro cards I'd turn my head towards Canopus products. I don't really know what's hot today but Canopus DV Raptor-RT was once in my plans but then I got mingy user added image...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Last edited by kbrown; 10-01-2003 at 08:29 PM.
# 7 10-01-2003 , 08:29 PM
Subscriber
whats a real time filter?
id like one that i can plug my firewire cable into and in premiere or whatever to rip out the contents of the DV tape and edit them on the computer and send it back thru to the DV camcorder afterwrds

- Simon

# 8 10-01-2003 , 08:38 PM

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 9 10-01-2003 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber
i think things are getting rather complicated user added image
all im looking for is a ieee1394 capture card, thats it, i dont particularly want any software or any analogue output and all that, just a card with a firewire slot, or is this not such a great idea?

- Simon

# 10 10-01-2003 , 09:19 PM
By all means get one such. Just be sure it's an OHCI card. I'm sorry I confuse you with all these terms but this is what happens when things aren't standardized well enough. The recordable DVD format jungle is a perfect example of this.

OHCI can be considered like DirectX or OpenGL in graphics cards. IEEE1394 referes just to the hardware part of the connection while OHCI has to do with the driver level communication. Your dealer should be able to help you with this. Ask him, will this card work with premiere? If yes, no problems... user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 11 10-01-2003 , 09:23 PM

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 12 11-01-2003 , 01:10 AM
Well i have the pinnicale LINX, all it has is the Firewire card, and Studio Version 7, which is free. Personally, I think the card sucks, after I had captured my movie, added effects, and edited it, I would try to record back to my DV cam, and while it was recording, the screen would sometime turn blue for a few seconds, then start recording. It isn't the software, which also sucks by the way, because i tried it with primiere, and it did the same thing, so its either the card, or the cam, and my friends had the same problem, and he was able to fix it by restarting his comp. The card is about 80 bucks.

I gave my love a chicken, it had not bones...Mmmmm, chicken.
# 13 11-01-2003 , 01:38 AM
ADS Technologies sells a variety of FireWire card packages. You can get just the card or you can get a bundle with software. Solid cards, and they work. I installed the basic card in my friend's computer, and we were capturing footage in less than 15 minutes. user added image

https://www.adstech.com

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 14 11-01-2003 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber
hey danny, which card is that?
you're capturing footage from a DV camcorder? what software do u use?

- Simon

# 15 11-01-2003 , 02:02 AM
My friend bought the Pyro 1394DV package, and he uses Adobe Premiere for capturing, editing, and output. I believe he may also be getting into Avid DV Express.

I do all my DV work on my Powerbook using the built-in firewire port. I have a Sony MiniDV camcorder, and I use it mostly for outputting animations to tape. Any footage that I capture tends to be either client stuff or my own goofy things (parties, family gatherings, me chasing my cat around, etc.). I also use my DV camera as a video source on a make-shift animation stand when I do traditional stuff.

For software, I use Final Cut Pro for most things. I also have a couple of shareware things I'll use for quick video captures and frame-by-frame capturing (the traditional stuff).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job