Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 01-03-2004 , 03:55 PM
The Maya Mountain

March/April 2004 Challenge Rules!

March/April 2004 Challenge
------------------------------------------

Time for a change of pace, and a new challenge! For the months of March and April, the theme for the Simply3DWorld challenge is:

Ancient Civilizations!

In this competition, your challenge is to create an environment scene with this theme in mind! You can portray a long, lost city in ruins, leftovers from a previously undiscovered world, or show an ancient society in its hayday, Atlantis at its peak, so to speak.

You are not limited to civilizations that are known to have existed, or even legends (such as Atlantis). You are free to invent your own lost world of the ancients! Technology level is your choice!

Perhaps the ancient civilization you portray is one much like our own, with high-tech tools and machines, but were somehow lost before the age of dinosaurs. Or even as far as some alien society that set up a colony on earth long ago but was long forgotten.

There are no limits except what your imagination can come up with!

1) Design and create an environmental scene under the theme of ancient civilizations, keeping the above info in mind. Show concepts and WIPs! You can create it in game low-poly OR in high-res cinematic quality.

2) The more you are able to do, the better your chances! Texturing, lighting, animation, dynamics, etc. are not required, but will add to your chances!

3) BONUS! Extra consideration given to those who accomplish this second (optional) part of the challenge! Integrate a particle or fluid effect into your scene! Because no animation is required, you can use Photoshop to composite such effects. However, the effects must be derived from Maya's particle or fluid effects and not something painted in from a photo or by hand!

AND/OR

Create a character that would fit within the ancient world you have created.

Keep in mind that it's the environment that REALLY needs to be done, so make sure you save your bonus details until after your main entry is complete! Do not sacrifice your entire entry because you didn't meet the optional aspects of the challenge!

For the ambitious among you, if you'd like to try for both bonuses, feel free. user added image

4) Name your posts thusly:

March/April - Your Name - Normal or Noob

If, over the course of the challenge, it is determined that you are performing at an OBVIOUS opposite to your chosen class, you will be asked to reverse it. This hasn't happend often, and usually only to those who enter Noob category and are decided to be good enough for Norm. user added image

5) Toward the end of the challenge period, Final Entry posts will be made for you to officially submit your entry for consideration.

Guidelines/Suggestions/Etc.
------------------------------------

1) Congrats to the previous challenge entries! The requirements needed to give out the grand prize we've been waiting to give away have been met! Watch this space for details of what grand prize is in store for this new competition!

As usual, we'll need five (5) valid final Normal entries between SimplyMaya and SimplyLightwave to consider shipping out the prize, so encourage each other!

The winners of the Jan/Feb Challenge will be announced within the next day or two.

2) If doing low-poly, let us know your final entry's polycount. Try to stick to around 50,000 triangle polys. This limit is not strict, however.

No special consideration is given to an entry based on whether it is low-poly or not.

Keep watch here for any addendums and feel free to post your own questions you might have.

Good luck!

PRIZE INFO ADDED! CHECK PAGE 2!

# 2 01-03-2004 , 04:13 PM
Superb theme! Wow, really nice user added image I'm going to love this one! user added imageuser added imageuser added image!!!

# 3 01-03-2004 , 04:15 PM
The Maya Mountain
ADDENDUM -

Your entry must be begun during this challenge period and not from a previous project done before.

# 4 01-03-2004 , 04:26 PM
Awwsome !!! user added image Cant Wait.

# 5 01-03-2004 , 06:48 PM
Cool challenge, great the way that it's totally different from the last one. :tup:

# 6 01-03-2004 , 10:20 PM
19 year Veteran
Wish it was a alien civilization challenge. Where we could create our own world.

# 7 01-03-2004 , 10:23 PM
The Maya Mountain

Re: March/April 2004 Challenge Rules!

Originally posted by mtmckinley
You are free to invent your own lost world of the ancients! Technology level is your choice!

# 8 01-03-2004 , 10:26 PM
So every kind of civilization with tech. is allowed.... as long as it's ancient? :p So can I be ancient too? :p

# 9 02-03-2004 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber
WOW.. I'm SOOO glad I saw this thread soon ehough...lol

I havent participated in a challenge (for real) so I might as well try ...

hmm...I'ma go think now!! user added image

-Emo

# 11 02-03-2004 , 08:53 AM
Subscriber
Wow, this is actually the first time I have seen this forum. What a great idea !! A bi-monthly challenge, I love it.
I am the true personification of a Noob, I have had access to Maya complete for two months now, but given time to learn Maya I will definately be looking at these challenges. At present I can just navigate the program let alone actually make something with it.
Just a thought, how about a team challenge, say one person doing the modelling another the animation and a third the rendering over a longer period, say a quarterly challenge for a truly great prize ........ just a thought.

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.
# 12 02-03-2004 , 06:43 PM

exactly

Yeah I'm completly for this team challegne thing...for examply me:
I can't texture and i'm not very good in animating so that i won't enter this challenge (plus i didn't learn more after the done challenge user added image ).and sarge if u are online--> wanna talk with you...
does someone know the best way to learn poly texturing?DOes someone have links?I try to be back in CHallenges as fast as i can...

# 13 03-03-2004 , 04:23 AM
Subscriber
I am very tempted to try this challenge... especially since it lasts two months, but I dunno... I have also been wanting to make some Maya tutorials of my own for my website. Hmmmm.....

# 14 03-03-2004 , 04:54 AM
The Maya Mountain
Hope you join, Dark user added image

# 15 03-03-2004 , 12:00 PM
looks pretty interesting..think i might give it a go this time...have always wanted to give one of the monthly challenges ago!

msn: great_expanse AT hotmail.com