Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-04-2010 , 09:56 PM
19 year Veteran

Challenge ideas.

Since there is still not a thread up anywhere that I have noticed ( Jay, thought you were going to post one? ) I decided to get one going.

Anyway, lets get some ideas going...

Continuing from the ( Now closed winter challenge thread ),
Some Guy, your last idea is pretty interesting, but how about we do a free for all, make up anything challenge. This would cater to all skill levels. I still would like to see a stereo 3D challenge ( movie or still ), but it might be too difficult for some people.

# 2 02-04-2010 , 08:51 AM
Subscriber
I just gutted I forgot the deadline for the Avater one as I put alot of work in to it, but with everything going on right now it could not be helped.

What ever the idea I think it needs to have alot less restrictions on it.

The first challenge I did here was mike two random word one "Fence armchair". The best thing about it was the fact it was so open you could do almost anything you wanted so the skill set was all ways at the right level (well apart from forum members pushing you on to do more - which is always good).

Like my idea a few months back of a design a Saw type trap (after playing the saw game for hours) - with that you could model, simulate particles, animate, dynamics, texture, light - it would be completely up to you. There would still be a theam/rules as such but the end idea would be yours and therefore the hardness of the challenge would be down to you.

I think the last real open challenge was the steampunk one - which was super popular.

The other factor I think kills a challenge is just plain bad luck of the timing.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 02-04-2010 at 09:38 AM.
# 3 02-04-2010 , 01:46 PM
I'm in agreement with the "more open" thing, I prefer having less constraints on what I do.
The two word type challenge that Tweety mentioned sounds great to me as I wasn't a member when that was going on, and it does leave a lot of room for ideas, whilst still having an aim to it.
Not too sure about a free for all, while that seems like a great idea in theory, I think the less experienced members may get put off joining by the more experienced ones really going for it, I'm imagining that happening as people will love being able to concentrate on their own area of interest in 3D, the car people creating amazing cars, character people creating superb zb sculpts etc.
And really, how much of a headache would it be to judge when all the final entries are so different?!

I think having something with a very loose theme gives the most creative freedom, while still having a point to the whole challenge.

Just my opinion, I've got free time at the moment so whatever the challenge I'll probably give it a go anyway....lol

# 4 02-04-2010 , 05:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
THX

I was going to start the thread but its not at the front of my mind right now, I have work commitments and other stuff plus making a couple of new tutes for SM and stuff so ya know...all I need now is a life.. LOL

BUT...once you have a load of ideas here on this thread, let me know and I'll speak with Dave, Nilla and Mike and we'll decide the next challenge from there.

I think a Maya only challenge on the next one, no zbrush or Mud etc.

Jay

# 5 02-04-2010 , 06:33 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by Jay

I think a Maya only challenge on the next one, no zbrush or Mud etc.

Jay

Appist! This isn't "Simplymaya" anymore.

user added image lol just messin'

I think the two word idea is pretty good. Give lots of room and freedom, so people don't feel cornered into a particular area.

You could do something like they do at with the HMC over at cgtalk. Pick a studio, and have people go wild recreating pieces from said studio. ILM, Weta, etc. At least this way you would get a complete jumble of hard surface modeling, organic, simple, complex.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 02-04-2010 , 09:11 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Mayaniac
Appist! This isn't "Simplymaya" anymore.

good point... how about a challenge to create a new logo for the site.

# 7 02-04-2010 , 09:13 PM
19 year Veteran

I was going to start the thread but its not at the front of my mind right now, I have work commitments and other stuff plus making a couple of new tut's for SM and stuff so ya know...all I need now is a life.. LOL

Thats understandable Jay. I also think a maya only challenge is a great idea.

he first challenge I did here was mike two random word one "Fence armchair". The best thing about it was the fact it was so open you could do almost anything you wanted so the skill set was all ways at the right level (well apart from forum members pushing you on to do more - which is always good).

I remember that one pretty good tweetytunes. Mike linked us to a site that had a word generator on it. What ever the generator came up with was what you did. Mine was"Double Barrel". That challenge was a really good one. However, having a word generator does restrict you to a certain theme you may or may not like. Some people clicked away on the generator to come up with a theme they liked. I actually went with the first words the generator came up with.

But anyway, a more open challenge would have alot more participation, whether it's a free for all or random word selection. This could really benefit from stereo 3D.......

# 8 02-04-2010 , 09:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
thx: yeah sounds great, lets do that again. Plenty of use of the imagination for sure..

@everyone:

Yup no sculpting software...

Im throwing down the gauntlet and seeing if any of you can do without it

Jay

# 9 02-04-2010 , 09:27 PM
The thin red line
How about do some thing that could have been in a stated film, could be a set, model or animation...........dave

Last edited by daverave; 02-04-2010 at 09:35 PM.
# 10 02-04-2010 , 09:58 PM
19 year Veteran
Nice idea dave. Could still work with a random word/ free for all challenge.

Animation's would be a nice bonus with the entries also.

# 11 02-04-2010 , 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Jay
thx: yeah sounds great, lets do that again. Plenty of use of the imagination for sure..

Will you use the same 2 words for everyone, or will everyone get their own words to work with?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 12 02-04-2010 , 10:02 PM
19 year Veteran
Everybody's words would be different.

# 13 02-04-2010 , 10:09 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
# 14 02-04-2010 , 10:15 PM
19 year Veteran
It would most likely be from a word generator
elephantinc.

# 15 02-04-2010 , 10:16 PM

Originally posted by THX1138
Everybody's words would be different.

Ok, cool. What measures would be taken to make sure people didn't just choose the words they most wanted... or is that the point?

I have a crap load of ideas running through my head with the old two words "Fence/Armchair". lol

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"