Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-12-2004 , 12:43 PM
Subscriber

polygon human - new WIP

hey there guys.

well my past attempts to create human characters didn't go too well, i'd usually get stuck at a certain part and not be able to proceed at all, usually because of some modelling decisions made early on that prevented me from progressing further.

so i'm gonna need you guys to guide me through this. user added image i'm creating a character, specifically a boxer-type fighter in the vein of steve fox from the tekken series. i'm looking to at least approximate the level of detail of the models during actual gameplay. here's what i have so far:

user added image

user added image

i'd really love to add muscle detail, but i'm not sure if, given the current level of detail, that that is right decision at this point. just as well, i'm not even sure how to correctly add in muscle creases. my previous attempts proved ugly (extruding the abdominal muscles or biceps, for instance), so i'd like to have a correct idea of how to go about it. i'll be animating this guy too, so any tips of correct joint modeling would be great.

thanks. user added image

Last edited by deryk; 18-12-2004 at 03:16 PM.
# 2 04-12-2004 , 02:48 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Deryk

What type of character are you going for? Is it game or hyperreal?
If its a game character perhaps a lower res model, but if its more realistic then I would say to define the bodyshape more before even contemplating cutting in the muscles. And get plenty of reference too.

_J

# 3 04-12-2004 , 03:41 PM
Subscriber
Nice start, the upper torso and the arms look good but the legs seem a little wide, and as Jango said use plenty of reference.
Keet at it. user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 4 04-12-2004 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
Jango: well what the level of detail i'm trying to achieve is tekken/virtua fighter type, meaning not exactly hyper real but still with lots of details. you'll notice this in some of the later games like tekken 4 and virtua fighter 4. just a few notches below CG cutscene quality.

RubberChicken: as for the legs, i modelled them to make the character stand with feet apart, seems the more natural position than with feet together. is that what you meant? user added image

# 5 04-12-2004 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
Not exactly, what I meant is that the leg itself is a litte fat.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 6 04-12-2004 , 06:45 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by RubberChicken
Not exactly, what I meant is that the leg itself is a litte fat.

hmmm yes now that you mention it, it is kinda fat.

i'll check it out and improve it and post up a new version a little later. user added image

thanks for pointing that out. user added image

# 7 04-12-2004 , 10:30 PM
Subscriber
Its a good start, could you post a wire,
I also agree with Jango reference is needed, it helps alot.

Keep at it

Daeuser added image

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 8 05-12-2004 , 02:58 AM
Subscriber
hi! user added image

here's a wire:

user added image

what really bugs me is that the edges and vertices don't follow the curvature of the muscle, a concept i learned from some of the ****** sample videos (i.e. muscles from the sides of the chest usually curving up to the shoulders, etc), because everytime i do that, it ruins my entire modelling process and i'm left with no vertices to work with. this is because i read somewhere that it's best to keep your model in quads, so i'm trying to do that and have been successful so far, except in the hand area, where i have a few tri's. user added image

this is the most recent wire shot i have. i'll post one up soon of the model with the reshaped legs.

thanks for the help you guys. with my college graduation coming up, i'm really trying to prepare for entry into a good school for this stuff, which, unfortunately, needs me to have skill from the get-go. user added image

# 9 05-12-2004 , 05:28 AM
Subscriber
can we see a high poly version(smoothed) however u wanna say it.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 10 05-12-2004 , 06:23 AM
Subscriber
here's the smoothed shot you asked for, with the two sides combined and merged. user added image

user added image

# 11 05-12-2004 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber
by the way, i use schwarzenegger's bodybuilding photos for references on muscles. while that may seem weird, he's probably got every muscle available in the human body defined, and his pics over at schwarzenegger.it show him from front, side, and even 3/4 views so it's pretty great for body references. user added image

# 12 05-12-2004 , 07:29 AM
Subscriber
dae: i saw your CGTalk Space Opera entry. amazing stuff man. quick question: how the heck did you learn to model such a fine human body? simply amazing... user added image

# 13 05-12-2004 , 08:44 AM
Subscriber
I believe he used kurts ninja tutorial as a basis. Its a good tutorial. U need to look into using edge loops. Theres a few good tuts on the net. have a look for the joan of arc tutorial, its really good for making good edge lines, IMHO.

# 14 05-12-2004 , 08:58 AM
Subscriber
thanks! i'll have to look into that ninja tut. but first i have to get me a credit card. user added image

# 15 05-12-2004 , 10:54 AM
Subscriber
I never really modeled a hi-poly human character before (just humanoid) the ninja tutorial really helped point me in the right direction.

Daeuser added image

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk