Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-10-2002 , 09:13 PM

pfx shadow artifacts

Darn...been trying to figure out this one for the last few hours. I was playing with the paint effects hair and I got some pretty descent results except:

I have a head model and three strokes (+ control and pressure curves) on it which emits the hair. I also have one key light (spot), one fill light (point), and one directional backlight. All of them with dmap shadows enabled. The pfx brushes has also fake shadows set to 3D cast. One of the strokes gives me pretty bad artifacts on the model. If I hide the backlight (and loose it's nice effect) the artifacts are gone. It is only this one stroke with the backlight which maya doesn't seem to like. I've tried to fiddle with the shadow settings, changed the backlight to a spotlight and everything...help! user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 2 13-10-2002 , 09:21 PM
Is there a way to avoid the shadow maps in that last directional light? turn them of or something? Hope you can get it figured out because ...

... HELL! That looks nice! better than that last pic of the head! I can see it coming to life now. Keep on it mate ´cause this one is going to be a masterpiece.

user added image

# 3 13-10-2002 , 09:32 PM

Originally posted by adldesigner
Is there a way to avoid the shadow maps in that last directional light? turn them of or something?

I wish there was. But pfx doesn't support light linking. And I really want the shadows from the backlight too user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 4 13-10-2002 , 10:05 PM
Doh...I rotated the backlight in Y-axis and rearranged the other lights and the artifacts are gone. In other words I mirrored the light setup. I still would like to know whatta heck was going on 'cause I wasted many hours figuring this out...Sorry about that...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB