Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 16-12-2006 , 01:32 PM
Hey Man, Nice going

To me the pots looks little off, the center of them seems a little wide, also the pickups seem a little too thin and the neck and fingerboard appear to be one piece of wood (which I've never seen on a guitar, correct me if i'm wrong)

The above are comparing it to my Fender Strat.

Great work on the materials (i'm thinking of giving Maxwell a go for my guitar LOL)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 18-12-2006 , 07:16 PM
Thanks for the comments,

but what are the "pots"? Do you mean the three thingies under the strings? When I measured those with my a ruler now I actually see they are too thin...have to scale those. I've measured most parts but forgot a some.

You're right about fingerboard, it should be a separate piece. But since that's only visible by the texturing (you can't even feel it) I will fix that in texturing when I create the textures for real. I've just applied a random wood texture for now.

# 18 18-12-2006 , 10:39 PM
The "Pots" are the dials (Volume Treble and Bass on a guitar like that) the three things under the strings are the pickups.

Oh and looking back on your pic's you need to model the nut as its just a poly cube at the moment, sure its just an oversight though

nice soing, looking forward to updates, as its a Fender Strat copy you could add fender decals to it???

Just a thought.

Last edited by gster123; 18-12-2006 at 10:42 PM.
# 19 19-12-2006 , 12:24 AM
Ok, the "pots" are the dials...hehe... I actually thought they look to fat at the top aswell, but I measured them several times and they match perfectly. So it's either a camera angle thing or something else is out of proportion compared to them...

Ok, so what's the "nut"? If you mean the white "box" where the strings go though I wasn't going to model those narrow passages since they won't show unless it's a really close up. But as it's pretty easy I might as well do it.

No Fender stickers, since I want to model it as it is in reality since I'm gonna put it in my living room scene. However there will be a Behringer logo on it :p

# 20 19-12-2006 , 12:35 AM

absolutely beautiful

just the smallest of crits and ( i have not seen your guitar but) i thought that the grain on the neck should run along the neck to give it strength , wouldnt it just crack if the grain ran across? like i said I havent seen your guitar But, It just looks odd to me

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 21 19-12-2006 , 04:42 AM
another guitar, maybe some other ppl should model a drum set and some mics and other accesories then we will have a rock band, but without the people. btw great work, how about some wires

# 22 19-12-2006 , 09:05 AM
bruce: As I said before the texturing is just a temporary quickie.

younglion: hehe.... I'll throw in some wires later today.

# 23 19-12-2006 , 01:49 PM
Here's a wire. Some objects are NURBS and some others are smoothed polys since they don't have the input graph because of duplication (without the input graph).

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 19-12-2006 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
hey djblazer, im always impressed and a big fan of your work, keep on doing what you do man user added image about the guitar, that is some fine work you got here, one of the pictures for a sec, i though it was real lol...you brought the realism out of it i see alot =)

just another question, how do you clay render? could you please hook me up with a link? thanks dude, most appreciated .. :bandit:

cheers buddy, marlon

# 25 19-12-2006 , 05:41 PM
The Kobs on a strat, do taper from the bottom of the center part to the top, this might be why they look a bot too fat in the center..

Cheers

# 26 19-12-2006 , 10:12 PM
thanks for the kinds words, marlonjohn.

gster123, Yeah I know they are tapered. And I tapered them as well.

Since last pic I took a photo of my guitar from far away to minimize the perspective distortion. I then put it in Maya and rescaled and moved things. So now according to the pic everything is in the right place with the right scale. I also modeled the last pieces, so now it's on to the texturing and fine tuning of materials.

Here's a pic. Some close-up's coming next time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 20-12-2006 , 09:50 PM
Did the material/texturing for the knobs.

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 20-12-2006 , 10:44 PM
dude,
if thats not the sexiest thing ever, i dont know what is ^_^:attn: :attn:

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 29 21-12-2006 , 06:42 AM
Hey nice detail!!!

Wanna see it in action user added image

Rock'n'Roll 4 ever!!!

# 30 21-12-2006 , 10:00 AM
Did the texture for the neck.