Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 01-06-2008 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber

Sci-Fi kinda guy

Hey guys,

After lurking here for a long time, gazing at other peoples stuff, but never getting into maya myself I finally received the last kick under my butt to get me going.

I am a software developer, and went to the Microsoft Devdays in Amsterdam where they had a big showcase on XNA, after toying around with it a little some people at work where impressed by the possibilities and asked if I wanted to look into it.
So, software was ordered, and I got some budget for self education, I bought a tutorial from another site (Shame on me!) that describes the entire workflow, from an empty maya sheet all the way to a textured, animated model rendered by XNA.

I will be posting my progress in this thread.

Little side note, as a programmer some things just short-circuit my mind, putting things 'over there because it looks nice' blows all kind of fuses my programming experience have build over the years.
None the less, I find this a rather relaxing way of spending time!

Just blocking out atm :
user added image

Wire :

user added image

(Hope the images where not too big)

In ICT there are two kinds of people : Technically challenged artists, and artistically challenged technicians.

I am, without a doubt, the latter.
- Dave
# 2 01-06-2008 , 10:40 AM
Acid44
lookin nice so far man, the images are fine(size wise)

btw, is that from the "next-gen game modelling" tut from gnomon or dt... dont know wich one its fromuser added image

# 3 01-06-2008 , 11:12 AM
Subscriber
Its from dt,
its nice for me since they take into account what XNA will and will not take.

In ICT there are two kinds of people : Technically challenged artists, and artistically challenged technicians.

- Dave
# 4 02-06-2008 , 06:50 AM
Subscriber
Well, discovered I made a couple of errors earlier, that got me fighting with reversed normals that really interrupted the flow of the tutorial.
I did find however that maya can be very cruel, but also very forgiving.

I realize the better (who is about everyone here but me) Maya artists backs will cringe just by looking at this, but we all have to learn somewhere I suppose.

Another little update :
user added image

- Dave
# 5 04-06-2008 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
Hay man looking good.

I`m also doing this one right now

My go

have to help each other out.

# 6 05-06-2008 , 05:19 PM

:)

Its looking decent mate user added image

keep going chief user added image