Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-01-2009 , 01:40 AM
Jr.Who

Video card question

Hey guys,

As you might know, I got a PC from someone to run ZBrush on. Although it isn't a top of the line machine, it still runs ZB OK.

One of the worst things about it is that is has an integrated video card (or whatever you call them). I might be able to get a cheap 64 MB video card (I think it was Intel, but I'm not sure) from the same person I got the computer from.

So my question is, would the 64 MB video card run a lot better than the integrated one?

-Steven Palmesano
user added image

# 2 08-01-2009 , 01:52 AM
Get some more info mate, slot type, manufacturer etc etc as is a bit hard to say at the mo (oh as well as the PC's specs.) 64 MB seems really small with todays standards.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 08-01-2009 , 02:29 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Get some more info mate, slot type, manufacturer etc etc as is a bit hard to say at the mo (oh as well as the PC's specs.) 64 MB seems really small with todays standards.

I know it's small, but the integrated one sucks. lol

I don't know the specs on the video card… I might be able to get back to you on Saturday about that, but I'm not sure. The PC's specs… it's a Dell Optiplex GX270 Intel P4 HT 3 GHz with 2 GB of RAM and the video card right now is an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller. Is that enough info for the PC?

# 4 08-01-2009 , 08:31 AM
A graphics card should be better than integrated graphics if they are both from the same period, but how better is another question.

Give us the graphics card stats. Is it really an Intel? I thought they gave up on graphics cards after their i740? in 1998! :p

Also, be aware of the AGP you have... they come in 3.3V and 1.5V versions. A newer PC with a P4 HT may not support 3.3V cards and a 64 MB graphics card sounds like it comes from an age that uses 3.3V AGP

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 5 08-01-2009 , 10:26 AM
I have a feeling you are going to have a miserable time with any meshes subdivided more then then a very fewer layers. ZB is really hard on graphics cards and especially graphics cards memory.

But you can generally find out some details on your integrated card by right clicking on the system icon going to properties then hardware then device manager and look for the display adapters.

If you decide to replace the card with an AGP or whatever your mobos graphics connector is be sure to go into the bios setup and turn off the integrated adapter and make the one in the card slot the primary video adapter.

GL

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 08-01-2009 , 10:29 AM

Originally posted by ctbram
If you decide to replace the card with an AGP or whatever your mobos graphics connector is be sure to go into the bios setup and turn off the integrated adapter and make the one in the card slot the primary video adapter.

The computer should do that automatically... at least on my PCs it does...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 7 08-01-2009 , 11:14 AM
Thinking about it Zbrush dosent use the graphics card, its all CPU and RAM to hold and subdivide the mesh. And display is purely software so again the CPU not the GFX card.

# 8 08-01-2009 , 03:47 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Thinking about it Zbrush dosent use the graphics card, its all CPU and RAM to hold and subdivide the mesh. And display is purely software so again the CPU not the GFX card.

Yeah, I know that, but my video card is slowing things down. Any time I hide a layer, instead of it just fading out it takes a couple secs and refreshes the entire screen.

I might be able to try using the video card in the computer on Saturday actually… if I can I'll test it out and tell you what happens.

# 9 08-01-2009 , 05:58 PM
Yeah, suppose the GFX card would take some load off the processor

# 10 11-01-2009 , 12:24 AM
Jr.Who
OK, I got an AGP 64 MB ATI Radeon 7000 card in it and it seems to be running a lot better with ZB, so I'm gonna keep that. Thanks for the help guys.
user added image

# 11 11-01-2009 , 06:02 AM
The Nurb Herd
maybe just use ZBrush on your mac?

# 12 11-01-2009 , 07:52 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by hammer.horror
maybe just use ZBrush on your mac?

I can't, I don't have an Intel Mac. You think I'd willingly use a PC? lol

# 13 11-01-2009 , 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
....You think I'd willingly use a PC? lol

Well, then spend $3000 to get another mac to fix a simple $200 video card issue, lol.

See what I mean? hehe...

Also, I moved this thread, much like your other one, to the proper forumuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com