Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-12-2010 , 07:42 PM

Character animation-Finished work

# 2 02-12-2010 , 07:57 PM
The thin red line
Nice work Mahesh
The walk cycle looks good if I were critical there could be a little more hip movement but only a little. I liked the skateboard one...............dave

# 3 02-12-2010 , 11:22 PM
Administrator
Mahesh, I really like the skateboard animation. Did you create the environment yourself or just the animation in it? I think your cameras are very good, it captures the whole thing so well.

Me and David watched your ball balance when you posted it up a few weeks ago and we both thought it was really good too, I can't animate myself but I understand the principles so I can see how much work went into it. I think you caught the movement, it looks fairly realistic and that's not easy to get right with the timing in animation for something like that.

A final thing I wanted to say to you is that I think you're very talented. I remember when you posted up the classic beginner pool table and spinning planets exercises because I see a few of those. Yours caught my eye because even if they're simple simulations you had multiple cameras, textures and lights in your scene which made them a lot more. I don't think you'll have any problems finding 3D work in the future for these reasons if that's what you want to do.

I look forward to seeing more of your work,
Nilla

# 4 03-12-2010 , 12:20 AM
Lifetime Member
Mahesh I am not employed in the industry, my formal training is in Cel animation - I'm struggling to get to a point in 3D you obviously have. I can't do what you have.

Theres lots I liked about the two animations, but a few things 'I' would adjust just a fraction.

First in your walk cycle, your characters weight (to me) seems too far back over her heels (but I draw characters with exagerated lines of action, who run impossibly close to horizontal user added image )

I liked your skateboard guy, first run through I noticed it looked like his toes slid forwards along the ground when he's pushing back (Especially at 000:08 and 00:09). But then the jump! First camera shot was good. The extended second shot showing him throwing out his arm to keep balanced I thought was great.

But when I watched it again (and again) I still LOVED the character animation on landing but theres something about the board after landing- it drifts, if the wheels had traction he'd be thrown forwards just a little (or something? not sure). The last second at 00:17-00:18 this jumps out everytime. Would NEVER notice it unless I was critiquing, the focus doesnt get taken from the character. But you asked for feedback and one thing I AM good at its poking holes in others work user added image

# 5 03-12-2010 , 11:14 AM
@dave
Thank you dave. By hip movement do u mean, it should be up or down or sideways.

@Nilla,
Thanks
Glad that you and David have watched all my videos and have liked it.
I have created the set(environment) myself. Had not intended to texture it initially but later changed my mind.

I did tried a lot of camera angles before finalizing on what you see. It really helps to make a simple scene dramatic.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

@3dstudent
By Cel animation you mean the traditional way of animation. If thats so i envy you. That is real art.

Walk cycle- I should have given a light rotation to the spline.Right now its looking stiff. I agree

Skateboard- Skateboarders manoeurve their boards using one foot on the edge of their boards. I tried to show the same thing but i forgot to move the skate board with respective to the foot movement. Thats why it looks like the toes are sliding. I will change it in my final reel. Thanks for noticing that out

When you spend hours working on some thing you find everything to be right. Your eyes stop finding mistakes. Its always good to show it to others and find out what they think about it. Isn,t it?

Mahesh

# 6 03-12-2010 , 11:28 AM
Lifetime Member
Mahesh,

boy that was a decent crack at animation mate...the skateboard had me hooked (yes I cheated I watched it first LOL).

The walk cycle..yes she tends to be counterweighted over the caboose. I dont know if its just me but her feet didnt look correct in contact and release from the ground. They kind of simulated flippers on a diver to me...with the front part flexing like it was flaccid (no offence mate). The feet also didnt appear to have the heel off first?? Other than that mate a bloody good effort all round..you certainly have skills (I wish I had them too!!) for an all round effort. I would think as you seem to be able to multi task your skillset and put some effort and imagination into it you will be a good asset to a company mate.

I dont work in this industry but try not to get bogged down on one idea or style. As you have shown, you can adapt to different things, so keep that in mind when coming up with your next project. Dont be frightened by going off on a tangent and try something crazy...thats what its about...and having fun.

Well done

cheers bullet user added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 03-12-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
# 7 05-12-2010 , 04:49 AM
@bullet 1968,

Thanks for all your nice comments.

After so many critics on walk cycle i too feel I should start working more on the basics like walk, run ,sneaks etc.
I will keep in mind your suggestions.

Bullet, Even i am not from this industry. I left my field (textile machineries) for which i gave 13 years to learn this art form.To leave a job (in jan 2010)which payed me good, gave me opportunity to travel so many countries and places was not easy though.

Atleast for now i am having fun. Dont know about the future.

Right now i have got a contract to make itinerary maps for a travel company so busy working on it. Will start working on new projects after this assignment.

Thanks again for watching my video and commenting on them. Appreciate it.

Mahesh

# 8 05-12-2010 , 05:04 AM
Lifetime Member
Well at least you are having fun...sadly I am tied down with family so I cant change jobs...too many mouths to feed and look after.

LOL I will be watching for the 'sneaks' I used to LOVE the cartoon sneaks...with the little sounds they had for the steps.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes