Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-12-2010 , 02:01 PM

HELP! Rendering output doesn't match animation

Hi everybody,

i created an animation with cheese and ham slices being cut from a loaf by a machine. While being cut they bend down and are instantly laid down to a band-conveyor. I animated this with a lattice deformer, which looks quite good in the viewport. Punctual test renderings turned out satisfying, too.
BUT if I render the animation in the batch renderer via command line, there's a strange effect. Some of the slices don't fall down on the conveyor flatly, but stay in a position shortly before the flat one. The result is that the slices stay lifted at the foremost edge, which is anoying.
This is just one shot, but two sections are rendered with double frame rate so I can insert a slow motion. The effect appears in real time sequences, too.
I'm rendering in mental ray with final gathering, 16 bit TIFF RGBA + Z-Depth and m2dToxik renderpass.
I already tried caching the animation without success.
Would be very grateful for hints or advice. It's urgent! Thanks for your help!

# 2 16-12-2010 , 02:17 PM
The Nurb Herd
does the problem show up in a playblast?

# 3 16-12-2010 , 02:22 PM
I'm presently not at home, so I can't try. But I'll give it a try tonight. In a previous rendering with Maya Software renderer in a lower resulution the problem did not appear. Thanks!

# 4 16-12-2010 , 07:22 PM
Tried the playblast. Everything looks fine. Might the problem be due to the motion blur pass?

# 5 17-12-2010 , 08:24 AM
The Nurb Herd
its hard to say without seeing it tbh.

# 6 17-12-2010 , 09:26 AM
Hi,

I tried rendering without the motion blur pass and now everything is put out correctly. It seems that with motion blur pass turned on maya doesn't render the full frames, but something inbetween. Hence the renderer seems to misinterpret the motion of the object user added image
Does an anybody know a way to render a motion blur pass, which puts out the full frames?

# 7 17-12-2010 , 10:00 AM
The Nurb Herd
motion blur is calculated from the sub frames.
generally motion blur isnt a pass. it is something that renders on all the passes. you could try a motion vector pass tho.