Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 21-12-2010 , 06:39 AM

Character Animation (Andy Rig)

I want to learn some animation so I'm starting with a basic walk cycle. Here's the start of my walk cycle. Still lots to do.

You tube link:
YouTube - Walk Cycle_1 (W.I.P.)

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 21-12-2010 , 08:45 AM
The first thing that pop up is that it's not feeling she has any weight.

# 3 21-12-2010 , 11:19 AM
Subscriber
Like the leg movement and most of the arm (apart from the snapping wrist).

I think there is not enough body movement - the legs and arms are moving yes and the breast area is turning (???), but nothing in the head,hips or shoulders.

Try moving your breast area as much as you have in the animation and feel how much your head moves

Last edited by tweetytunes; 21-12-2010 at 11:23 AM.
# 4 21-12-2010 , 11:47 AM
The best way of learning animation is to stand up and act in front of the mirror!
Also check some footage. And observe people! Will help ya a lot!

Cheers !

# 5 21-12-2010 , 03:23 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. It will take me a few days to get it all implimented. I'll be focusing on legs and the arms for a couple of days, then the hips and chest and lastly the head.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 22-12-2010 , 01:04 AM
I worked on the legs and arms some more but I ran into problems. Although it looks much better I've realized that it's MUCH MUCH more efficient to key only the attributes that NEED to be keyed. I now have more attributes keyed than what I want so it's taking me more time to make simple changes user added image. I'm going to start from scratch now that I know that. The biggest issue I'm having is I key frame an arm straight and then move it a bit yet keeping it straight. when I play the animation it bends the arm during interpolation between the 2 keys. More of a pop actually. The only way I can get rid of those pops is to put a key frame there but then the key frames start adding up too much. Any suggestions?

Animation kind of feels like modeling. If I make too many detailed adjustments early, it just causes a headache later.

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 22-12-2010 , 07:55 AM
I've started over. I blocked out the leg and arm movement and then started tweaking the legs. So far I'm happy with the direction the leg animation is going except once again, I'm seeing the popping happening as you can see in the video. Is this normal? Unless anyone has suggestions, the only thing I know to do is to add key frames where it pops.

YouTube - AndyWalkCycle_1 (wip)

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 22-12-2010 , 08:04 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
if you can afford it head over to gnomon workshop they have an excellent character animations tutorial by Cameron Hood i learned a lot from there especially about weight your in between and not keying attributes you dont need

something feels abit off with the arms but it looks much better

Last edited by murambi; 22-12-2010 at 08:06 AM.
# 9 24-12-2010 , 08:44 AM
Thanks murambi, unfortunately I don't have any money to spend. I was laid off from my job so I've been job hunting for quite awhile now. I'll get it figured out though nonetheless. There are plenty of walk cycles on youtube that I can use for reference. Here's some more progress..still have a long ways to go though. Animation is much tougher than I had anticipated. I know the outcome I want, it's just a matter of getting there hehe.

YouTube - AndyWalkCycle_3wip

Exceed Expectations!
# 10 24-12-2010 , 11:34 AM
Hey Perfecto,

You are getting better. Keep it up.

If you want to learn walk cycle i would suggest that you work on some other rig with just the legs like the little warrior or Billie the ball rig.

Hands and body can distract you.

Once you get confident with the steps then you can start working on the advanced rigs.

Maheshuser added image

# 11 04-01-2011 , 04:35 AM
Technical Director
Hi Perfecto. Take a look at your curves for the arms, they're snapping. The torso also seems a bit stiff. When you walk, your hips angle forwards, and upwards (think about looking at someone from above as they walk in the direction you're facing) in the direction of the leg that's forward, and your shoulders counter-act this.

Take a look at the drawing I've made to illustrate this. The pictures on the left show (from top to bottom) the left-foot contact, the passing, and the right-foot contact. The left column shows what it should look like from above, and the right column, what it should look like from the front.

user added image

Looking good, keep going!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 04-01-2011 at 04:39 AM.
# 12 04-01-2011 , 04:45 AM
Sweet, that illustration will help me out alot. After I finish the monthly challenge, I'll start working on it again.

Exceed Expectations!
# 13 04-01-2011 , 10:30 AM
Hi Magesh/All,

Can you plz help me out in choosing specialization in Maya? or where to start? How? I'm just confused. Just now I started learning Maya.

I need guidance badly.

Magesh, do you speak Thamzil?

Can any one help me out?

I'm in good in creativity(I hope), passionate about Maya, wants to achieve more things in this filed, wants to prove myself. But how? user added image

Aruna

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. "

Last edited by aruna; 04-01-2011 at 10:33 AM.
# 14 04-01-2011 , 04:14 PM
Hello aruna,

Having a passion is a good start, it will help keep you motivated as you learn and get better. Going to a school or university is probably the best way to learn 3d but if you're like me and can't afford it, tutorials are a BIG help.

I don't know what your skill level is but for starters, I would recommend going to Simply Maya's Video Training Section and doing the free tutorials. They are basic and will help get you started. As you do the tutorials, show us your work in the forums so we can see how you are doing and so people can give you help along the way.

Once you have some basic knowledge, I'd recommend purchasing the more in depth tutorials. They will help you take your skills to the next level. Basically, the more you work with Maya, the better you will get. But tutorials are an EXCELLENT way to learn. Just don't forget to show us your work as you do stuff because even though you'll learn alot from the tutorials, you can learn just as much from getting feedback from all of us here at Simply Maya.

Exceed Expectations!
# 15 04-01-2011 , 04:39 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Perfecto

Looks like a good start, but to add to Next design's comment:
- It misses up and down movement of the entire body ( see LOA.jpg here below)
- I miss a bit of a head wobble

A walkcycle is more then an advanced translate z, there is a lot going on in a walkcycle and it is one of the most difficult things to achieve:
Things to keep in mind:
there is contra movement ( if the left arm swings forward the right arm swings backward)
Try to see a walkcycle in curves and lines rather then the model you are watching, for instance when a character takes a " next step" and his right hip moves a bit up to accomodate the lifting of the feet into the forward motion the spine slightly curves causing the head to slightly bend to the right as well.
There is some ease in and ease out motion going in there as well.

And now I will give you the biggest tip:....Reference.
The character looks like a young lad in his teens, what kinda guy is he?
-Depressed
-Happy
-Cocky

Is he carrying a schoolbag full of books or does he have a small lightbag with only his lunch since he is going to skip school to be with his girlfriend to make out at the local hotspot?

It doesn't have to be a work as grand as Tolkien or Rowling, but a walkcycle needs a bit of a backstory so you as an animator can relate to it and cater the cycle accordingly.....there is no such thing as a generic walkcycle.

And don't worry if it doesn't work for you just keep at it

Attached Images