Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-03-2003 , 02:03 PM

Futur WIP need help

Hi,

I go on my journey with maya, and i need help on a big question that blow my mind :
How to bend a poly-cylinder to make an half torus or something seems to be a pipe linking parts of machine. Is it clear ?

In Lightwave there is Bend options, but i never found it in MAYA, I think I'm a bit blind and will go and buy glasses.

Thx a lot.

# 2 24-03-2003 , 02:55 PM
Just to explain a bit more:

You can see what I mean in Basura3D model for competition.
Watch the pipe under the head. perhaps I will ask him but if there's a Maya Master who should answer.

# 3 24-03-2003 , 04:22 PM
Deform > Non-linear > bend

OR

Create a nurbs torus, and change the sweep angle to 180 degrees, or whatever degree you needuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 24-03-2003 , 08:50 PM
Thanks a lot,
i will try in few minutes

# 5 25-03-2003 , 12:22 AM
You could also create an extrude along a profile curve. For example, create a NURBS circle. Now, create a curve with the CV tool. Select the circle first, then shift select the curve. Go to Surfaces --> Extrude (option box). In the option box, you can start with these settings"

Style: tube
Result Position: at path (profile works also...try both)

Everything else can be default. That's it. You should have your tube the way you want.

Another way would be to duplicate a series of nurbs circles and loft between each one.

Like Rage suggested, if you want to work with cylinder primitives, check out the deformers in the animation menu.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 25-03-2003 , 06:46 AM

Hand tutorial

Hey i was wondering for the free hand tutorial why i cant attach ne of the other fingers? this message always pops up at the bottom

"Error: Cannot attach and merge subdivision surfaces in polygon proxy mode."

someone help me with this thanks

# 7 25-03-2003 , 01:42 PM
Enigma, you should post your question in the "SM movie tutorials" forum. You're more likely to get a response there than in the middle of a totally separate thread.

That being said, If you're making a hand using sub-ds, you shouldn't be attaching fingers at all. All you do is, in poly proxy mode, use the split polygon tutorial to create the spaces between the fingers then extrude each finger 3 times to create joints. Then tweak. Everything should be made from one object. If you don't understand, hit F1 on your keyboard and read up on the sub-d section of maya's manual. They walk you thorugh the entire process of creating a sub-d hand there as well.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 25-03-2003 at 01:50 PM.