Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-10-2008 , 01:52 AM

First Project

I picked up Maya as a hobby and have been using it for about 2 or 3 months now and am currently in a basic modeling class at the local community college. For our first major project we were to model 3 or so objects with some sort of relationship, texture them up and put them in a scene. Attached is mine, all smoothed and prettied up.

I'm not too fond of the lighting. I haven't learned much about lighting yet but really didn't like the pre-lit set that was given us, so I modified it some on my own through trial and error.

I welcome C&C, but keep in mind I'm a newbie user added image

Thanks.

# 2 20-10-2008 , 01:57 AM
Picture attachment didn't seem to work, I'll try one more time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 20-10-2008 , 01:58 AM
Edit: Ah, there it is. Looks pretty good, but the wood texture on the handle of the paint-roller looks a bit awkward.

~I have no idea what I'm doing~
# 4 20-10-2008 , 02:13 AM
I went back and forth on that handle. I may lower the bump mapping on it some and make it a little darker color. Thanks.

# 5 20-10-2008 , 02:15 AM
Super Moderator
Not bad,especially for a new user. Only real crit at this point is the lack of shadows but you said you didn't get that far yet so can't really say its a minus.

- Genny
# 6 20-10-2008 , 05:05 AM
Subscriber
looks good man as G said get some proper lightin in there will look spot on , maybe have some of the point in the can on the wall as its just been put on could give it a nice comp i rekon

regards sicky

# 7 20-10-2008 , 10:32 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try to play around with the lighting more tonight to try and bring out the shadows more.

Good idea about the paint on the wall, I may work with that some tonight as well.

Love the site. I really enjoy playing around with Maya so hopefully I will be contributing more often here in the future.