Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-07-2005 , 05:07 PM

whats all these map

whats all thes things that finish by map
ex:
bump map
uv map
dislacement map
normal map

i surely forget some but could you say me whats the difference betweene and if i forget some, could you say me the other one please.

# 2 07-07-2005 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber
bump map

Uvmap: this will be a map of your model which you can alter the shape of using the 'uv texture editor' you can change the shape of this map witout effecting the shape of the model. the aim of the uvmap is to create one flat image of your whole model, imagine if you were making a box out of paper u would cut out a cross shape.

displacement maps

normal maps

# 3 07-07-2005 , 06:07 PM
resume:
bump map:its just as aparrence. its apears like stg 3d but its not.
uv map:its the texture
normal map i dont know what is it
if its not, can you eplaine what is it in your word.

# 4 07-07-2005 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber
click the links i gave u dude (click on 'bump map', 'displacement maps ' , 'normal maps')

# 5 07-07-2005 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber
btw, uv maps doesnt just map the texture(colour), it maps the bump map, the specular map, and any other you might want.

# 6 07-07-2005 , 07:28 PM
ok iw ill look at this

# 7 07-07-2005 , 07:30 PM
i will look at this but how can i do bump mapping or wahteveruser added image

# 8 07-07-2005 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber
right then, you make ur uv map, either by using; edit polygons/texturing/automatic mapping or planar or etc... once uve done that u can play with ur map in the uv editor, either sew up uv's or edges or move the uv points around, once uve made ur uv map to a standard which ur happy with, you take a snap shot, this is then sent into photoshop as a jpeg or tiff or what ever u like. in photoshop you delete all the bits within the uv map of your object so ur left with just the outline (u can leave ur edge lines on if u want) then u paint it al in using photoshop, once uve done the texture u save it as a jpeg. you can also use this same snapshot to make a bump map, this would be where you pain black bits onto the snapshot, the darker the black the deeper the bump will be, and white will be high. with a specular map the black bits will reflect more light, and so on for all the different things. once u have this big bunch of jpegs, goto your hypershade, make a blin and click the checked square nexto to 'colour' then goto file, then select the texture you just made, then goto bump map and add the bump map you made and the same for specular colour and the specular map you made. now they are all linked you can just apply the blin to the model and all the textures and bumps and stuff will be now on your model using the co ordinates from the uv map.

if i were you i wud just look for some tutorials and stuff, mess about making textures (even if they are crap) just write you name in photoshop and stick it on as a bump, then try the different mapping options. tutorials will help you alot, they are out there, but they can be hard to find sometimes.

good luck.

Matt

# 9 07-07-2005 , 08:18 PM
thanx you so much to take the time to answer to me.you are so nice.i really apreciate your help.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
user added image

# 10 07-07-2005 , 08:45 PM
Subscriber
i dont mind, ill help anyone to the best of my ability.

Matt

# 11 07-07-2005 , 11:18 PM
you are greatuser added image

# 12 08-07-2005 , 03:47 PM
i am not able to do that. i go to hyper shade i create a blinn but there is not any checked square nexto to 'colour'. and i dont understand when you say go to bump map. where is bump map.

scuse me btu... i am sooooo noobuser added image

# 13 08-07-2005 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber
press ctrl+a to add/remove the menu

user added image

# 14 08-07-2005 , 04:18 PM
Matt is extraordinarily nice for posting that for you.I just want to say that you need to stop using "being a newb" as an excuse. Hit the F1 key and read up on the hypershade and the attribute editor in the help files. Read the manual, buy a book (maya fundamentals), buy a vid tutorial, google the web...but stop asking ppl to handfeed this information that is right in front of you.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 15 08-07-2005 , 04:23 PM
yeah i know he is extraordinarily nice thanx a lot cuz i know you must be:angery:
user added image