Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 18-11-2005 , 06:58 AM
more

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 18-11-2005 , 05:28 PM
Hey. Very nice !
Looks like a damn clean mesh. Could we see a wireframe?

# 18 18-11-2005 , 05:45 PM
I am simply inspired by your work Dilbert!! great jobuser added image user added image

# 19 18-11-2005 , 11:58 PM
Fubar, I'll post a wire sometime, but it's not a poly surface, so there's no mesh. Just lots of trimmed surfaces with fillets everywhere.

# 20 19-11-2005 , 02:13 PM

Fubar, I'll post a wire sometime, but it's not a poly surface, so there's no mesh. Just lots of trimmed surfaces with fillets everywhere.

ok.

# 21 20-11-2005 , 06:26 PM
looking clean there dilberts

will you be keeping it all nurbs or converting later ??

# 22 20-11-2005 , 09:40 PM
Here's where I'm at with the engine. This engine is turning out to be the hardest modeling I've ever tried. The heatsink was a nightmare to model, and there's still a ton of nuts and sticky out bits to model.

This model will stay NURBS. There's no point in converting to polys or subD's as NURBS are easier to deal with at render time. Laying out the UV's for a poly model this size would be a horrendous task.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 22-11-2005 , 06:44 AM
A few more renders. I added a few more details to the engine, and set up the render environment. Unfortunately I can't render the whole bike with an IBL set up as my system can't handle it, so I just did it with the engine close up. I'm not even half done and the scene is already too big. :headbang:

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 22-11-2005 , 06:54 AM
engine

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 22-11-2005 , 02:09 PM
If you convert it to polys before you render, your computer might handle it, takes a lot less RAM.

# 26 22-11-2005 , 05:09 PM
Unfortunately, that's not an option. 99% of the surfaces are NURBS trims that don't convert well to polys. And even if they did, merging all the vertices for a clean continuous surface would take at least 2 lifetimes user added image I'm gonna do some optimization once the modeling is complete, and should be able to squeak out some nice renders.

# 27 22-11-2005 , 05:15 PM
lovely work dilberts. is there any way you can give some good clear instruction about how you do your rende, looks really good.
I am aware that there have been previous topics like this but I find that they are always a little confusing. Your advice would be great on how you render and set up the scene.

# 28 22-11-2005 , 06:44 PM
Sure clopper, here it is.

For the close up engine render above I had the following set up:

First, surround the entire model with a NURBS sphere, with the bottom quarter of the sphere deleted and replaced with a nurbs plane that is edge/global stitched to the sphere. This gives you a nice surrounding environment with a flat plane in the middle to set your object on. Make it considerably larger than your entire model. Make sure that in the render stats section for this environment, that cast shadows, and visible in reflections/refractions is turned off.

Next, assign a regular lambert to the environment, and also to your model. Make both a pure white color.

Finally, go to Render Globals and turn off "use default lights", turn mental ray settings to production quality, and Final gather rays to whatever your system can handle (the above render was 100 rays). Now here's the important part. Go to "image based lighting" in the mental ray section and hit create, which will bring up a window in the attribute editor. Hit the file icon and attach an HDR image of your choice. I used a beach scene with a yellow sunset and brown rocks for the above render which gives it the yellow tint. Doing this gives the clay render a subtle variance in color from the final gather bleed. Experimenting with different HDRI's can completely change the feel of your scene.

Render, and hope your system doesn't crash :headbang:

Here's my Porsche model rendered in the same way.

For the full bike shot I tried to fake this with a 3 light setup. It's not as good, but if you spend time messing with the position and intensities you can get close and render in a fraction of the time. Change the color of each light to try to fake the final gather bleed effect in the higher quality render.

Hope this helps.

Attached Images
# 29 23-11-2005 , 01:05 PM
WoW can i have tht car !! user added image

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 30 23-11-2005 , 03:59 PM
let me just clarify soemthing dilbert. I dont quite follow what you mean with deleting the nurbs dome and stitching. Do you mean literally delete the bottom faces of the dome and then putting a flat surface in there place so the car can sit on it?
I really want to get the clay render sorted as I love it how it appears as if there are no edges around the scene of walls etc.

PS, here is my first car that I want to clayify!

[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

Any help on dirt shader in photoshop and how to draw them would be appreciated too, but my main priority is the clay render

Last edited by clopper; 23-11-2005 at 04:26 PM.