Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-08-2006 , 05:43 PM

Maya 7 and 8 What is The Diffrerence ?

What The Diffrerence between Maya 7 and 8 ???? user added image

"The more things are forbidden, the more popular they become"
# 2 27-08-2006 , 06:01 PM
Have a look on Autodesks website for the release notes for a full run down on the differences.

# 3 27-08-2006 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber
Keep in mind that also the interface is slightly modified but also the menus have completly changed.
Things are gone or renamed etc.
Cutomising your toolbars just became invaluable!

GR.
M.

too_tough_to_die@mac.com (AIM)
Always up for a chat !
# 4 27-08-2006 , 06:37 PM
maybe it's an autodesk conspiracy to try and 'persuade' people to move over to 3dsmax user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 27-08-2006 , 06:40 PM
Senior Software Developer
I would stick with Maya 7. There have been very little improvements from 7 to 8. Also IMHO its a way for Autodesk to get a Maya release out ASAP with their name on...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 28-08-2006 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by R@nSiD
There have been very little improvements from 7 to 8. Also IMHO its a way for Autodesk to get a Maya release out ASAP with their name on...

i agree with you there mate.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 7 28-08-2006 , 02:04 PM
Subscriber
I can't understand that these comments are so negative about the new version of Maya. I am new to the program, spent like 2 1/2 weeks on PLE 7 and now already bout a week on 8. I can assure you there are enough changes in the new version, even Jay admids that. I am used to work with advanced programs like FCP, Shake, AE, Motion, etc. So I'm not a complete idiot in learning advanced programs. For Maya however I'm only covering modeling for now so I can't give you a more detailed view on animation and texturing in Maya 8 but as far as the modelling goes, the features have improved and are quite logic. Of course, with a yearslong experience it might be harder to learn/accept these changes. And yes there are a few bugs around apparently, like the extrude function wich snaps to center grid instead of center pivot -not always though-, but these thing have workarounds.
Also the tread about the logo... gimme a break, it's a logo guys! I really don't think that the engineers from Autodesk and Alias are batteling about that...

Anyhow, I do have Maya 8 and I like it. (so far....)
;-)

Gr.
M.

Always up for a chat !
# 8 28-08-2006 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber

# 9 28-08-2006 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber
No.
It didn't work, but now I'm back on the Mech tut again so I didn't strife do get them imported.
Thing is I checked the Window>Settings/Preferences>Plug-in Manager but there (see pic *) is nothing that resembles the 3dsImport.mll so I wouldn't know what further to do. And where are the import options?
I also checked the help button with a search on 3ds import: NADA. (No Results) !!
So you got any other ideas?

Gr.
M.

Attached Thumbnails

Always up for a chat !
# 10 28-08-2006 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
Do you have Maya Bonus Tools loaded? That is where you get it. I thought I had mentioned that. But since you have moved on, then good luck and fun with it.

I have tried using Version 8 and had a problem of when using the orient between local and world with extract it always jumped to the middle of the grid. Sort of 0,0,0 location and not on what I have selected. So I have went back to 7. And any files I had opened and saved with 8, won't open now in 7. That was a drag.

# 11 28-08-2006 , 07:54 PM
Senior Software Developer
If you work with ma files then just ammend the lines that refer to Maya 8 to refer to Maya 7 or lower... If they are mb then you are screwed user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 12 28-08-2006 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
Thank you for passing that along. They are .mb but not too big of a loss I didn't open and save but a couple. Think I will change the format I use, or is that wise?

# 13 28-08-2006 , 10:55 PM

Originally posted by oldhippie_tom
[B]Do you have Maya Bonus Tools loaded? That is where you get it. I thought I had mentioned that. But since you have moved on, then good luck and fun with it.
/B]

Are you sure i think i had it by default on v8

# 14 28-08-2006 , 11:02 PM
Subscriber
I just got the bonus tools for 8 and not sure if it did come with 8 as I didn't use it but for a few days. I will let you know.

# 15 28-08-2006 , 11:03 PM
Subscriber
Just checked in IMPORT and it doesn't have 3DS listed. I will load Bonus Tools and see if it comes with that.