Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-01-2004 , 10:08 AM
Subscriber

nVidia GeForce FX5700

I had a problem with my Quadro board this weekend and so am having it repaired/replaced user added image . I expect this will take a few weeks (things happen s-l-o-w-l-y in France).

In the meantime I am thinking of picking up a GeForce FX5700 that I can use as a backup card. Does anyone have any experience with this card and Maya? I will be running dualscreen, so if you have any experience with that please let me know.

Thanks all!

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 2 12-01-2004 , 05:54 PM
I just got the "ultra" version of this card, and it seems fine.

Not sure about the "non-ultra".

There are a few VERY small issues with redraw of the viewports when you "maximize" the viewport.
(workaround: just deselect, then reselect anything)

I made a small mel that does this for me so it is no longer a hassle for me.

Other than that, it ROCKSuser added image

Pretty cheap too, as I picked mine up from newegg.com "Saturday night" for $123.00.

However that sale is over now, and it is back to $191.00 user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 13-01-2004 , 09:17 AM
Subscriber
I picked up a 256mb version yesterday from a dealer here in Paris. It's by PixelView and has lots of funky "tuning" features such as a bright blue illuminated fan and all that crap.

Anyway, I plugged it in last night and it runs great. Dual-screen no problem at all. It runs about as fast as the Quadro4-980XGL.

I too get the viewport refresh problem; switching from persp to 4-view and back but it seems a quick play with the timeslider fixes it no problem. Another minor pain is if I have Maya open at the same time as QuickTime and drag a Maya window over the QT window, QT crashes.

Still - it's nice to have both monitors up and running again!

I was thinking that I would sell the FX5700 on eBay when the Quadro is repaired, but I like it so much thatI think I'll hang onto it and build my wifes replacement PC around it.

# 4 30-01-2004 , 08:03 AM
hi,

I've been shopping for a vCard for a new PC and Im trying to pick out one that supports dual-monitors. What characteristic am I looking for that tells me the card in question will support an extended desktop?

For example, Would this work? what would tell me?:

GAINWARD GeForce FX 5600 ULTRA Video Card
Chipset/Core Speed: GeForce FX 5600ULTRA/350MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/700MHz
BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+VIVO+DVI connector
Support 3D API: DirectX®9, OpenGL®1.4
Cable/Accessories: VGA via DVI Adapter, VIVO&Power Cables, 3 CD, Manual
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@75Hz

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized."
- Daniel Burnham, Chicago architect. (1864-1912)
# 5 30-01-2004 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
Look at the out-ports. A monitor usually uses either a VGA or DVI-D port. So in the case of the FX600, you have a VGA and a DVI connector ... dual monitor support.