Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 01-12-2012 , 04:23 PM
Lifetime Member
If you're a gamer the quadro's will piss you off even more
I'm running dual quadro 2000D's and they handle anything I do in maya
(as little as that might be)
in fact I got them because of the better reviews for handling 3D apps,
and they were fairly inexpensive considering the quadro prices.
They do run DX11 and OpenGL 4.0

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133382

but they really suck with games, some won't even run, and others have a very choppy FPS/refresh rate,
so much that I built a separate machine just for gaming user added image .....
luckily for me, I'm more into Maya than I am gaming.

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired

Last edited by BeAstMaSter; 01-12-2012 at 04:29 PM.
# 17 01-12-2012 , 07:32 PM
I hear you. I am in the same boat. I do not play games a lot but I do play them. I like things like starcraft, and I used to play wow and rift quite a bit but don't really have the time anymore.

But even though I don't play a lot of games currently, I do not want to gimp my system just for the sake of Maya. I use other 3D modeling apps and they have no issues with my geforce cards. So if I went to use a quadro it would be effectively to run one single app, Maya, and the bad news is from what the AD tech told me, even a quadro is no guaranty to solve this refresh issue.

I am hoping the 5700HD fixes this mess. If not I may end up with no choice but to try a quadro and end up with a Maya only system.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.
# 18 01-12-2012 , 08:15 PM
Lifetime Member
will be interested in your feelings once you have the 570HD running
mostly how well Maya works (in general, not just specific to your existing issue)
as I might replace my quadros, so that I can work in Maya,
and do gaming all on a single system.
Prices on the HD card I viewed are in line with what I spent on the 2000D's
so is a viable option for me.......

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 19 01-12-2012 , 08:45 PM
Throughout all this I can only say good things about EVGA. I started with a pair of gtx 265 2GB DDR3 cards I bought over 4 years ago. There were top of the line FTW models and did come with a lifetime warranty.

One of my 285's failed and since they no longer had equivalent 285's in their replacement inventory the upgraded them to gtx 480's with 1.5GB of DDR5. They had .5GB less ram but the DDR5 ram is much faster as was the entire card. The 480 had more the twice the cuda cores and was DX11 complieant where the 285's were only DX10 compliant.

But unfortunately the card did not resolve the refresh issue and in fact it has occurred more frequently then with the 285. Also, and this is a real dissapointment - the over all performance in maya say for rotating a large poly count model is significantly slower then the 285, particularly with two-sided lighting on!

I did some research and it turns out this is going to be the case with any geforce card beyond the 285's. It seems the 8000, 9000, and 200 series geforce cards were actually built on quadro cores and only the coded id on the card told the drivers they were geforce and not quadro. In fact there is a sw hack to fool nvidia quadro crivers into recognizing these cards as their equivalent quadro models. Unfortunately, for geforce cards from the 400 models on this is no longer the case and they do have hardware differences which result in reduced maya performance. However I found with two sided lighting off it was acceptable although the OCD part of me cringes when I go to move things and they are slowler then what I was used to with my gtx 285.

Since the refresh problem though is now even worse with the 480, evga support suggested that I could try the 570HD with 2.5GB DDR5. This gets me a gig more graphics memory and different hardware and driver software that might avert the refresh problem. There is a slight trade off in overall card performance compared to the 480 but the 570 is as large an upgrade as evga can provide from a 285.

I think this is more then fair as if push came to shove the refresh problem in Maya is not really evga's fault so I am grateful for the degree to which they have been trying to accommodate me with this issue. I can reach them 24/7 toll free, have never had a hard time getting to a tech, and they have even paid for all the shipping of parts back and forth.

I am really hoping the 570hd fixes this problem though as it's been 3 years that I have been dealing with this refresh problem and I am really sick to dealth of it and I do not want to have to go to a quadro and if I did get forced to a quadro and the problem did not go away I honestly think I would have to hurt someone! (jk)

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-12-2012 at 08:54 PM.
# 20 01-12-2012 , 10:23 PM
Technical Director
I wouldn't really call this a "rare problem", considering every studio I've ever been at has run into these problems.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 21 01-12-2012 , 11:18 PM
"rare" is what autodesk is calling it! I have had this specific on 100% of the systems I have installed maya on since maya 2010! That to me is not rare!

They call it rare so that they can justify that it has not fixed or if you can use the official bug reports from AD as a guide not even addressed for at least the last four versions of Maya!