Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-09-2006 , 09:46 AM

maya freezes when running Apache refplanes script

Whenever i run the refplanes script that comes with the Apache modelling tutorial the system just freezes, i still get the audio, but i can not move the mouse, and pressing Ctrl, Alt and Delete has no effect. the system has to be powered off to get it working again.

It freezes at the point where you are asked to hit the Go! button in the script.

My system is as follows:

Dell Precision 530 Dual Processor ZEON
4 Gb RAM
Wildcat 6220 Graphics Card
Windows XP SP 2
Maya 8

Please help as i can not start this tutorial, or can someone tell me how to work around the scrip and reproduce the same as what the script achieves.

# 2 30-09-2006 , 09:53 AM
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME....

This is the first tutorial that i have purchased from SM and i can not even start it, please help me...

If anyone can post the saved scene at the point after this script is run then this at least would mean that i can continue.

Please someone help, else this will be the first and definatly last one that i will buy.

# 3 30-09-2006 , 11:57 AM
Tubby
If possible check to see if you replicate the problem on a different machine. If not they the problem is with software/hardware your end and not the tutorials.

Update your maya (patches/Updates)

Update Windows

Update Video Drivers

Re-install DirectX (tutorial use's this)

Try PM'ing kbrown (He's a mod here)

Try Posting Animation/Mel Scripts & Programming

# 4 30-09-2006 , 03:38 PM
All updatesapplied, latest windows sp2 and all service packs applied, only this pc, latest maya, latest directx, still no joy...

# 5 30-09-2006 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
is this on disk one ? i have the disk i just have to run it too see where it is having issues ...

also did you download

www.divx.com ...download that afor the codecs ? also have you tried the free dog tutorial to see if it locks up ?

also i seen you are running maya 8 ..do you have maya 7 to run that script ..some scripts will not run on other maya .. just thinking cause i ran into that issue with older script and my maya 7 and 8

# 6 30-09-2006 , 04:10 PM
thanks mmoore but i think you have the wrong end of the stick, the tutorial video plays OK, it is my PC that hangs after hitting the go option in the refplanes script.

# 7 30-09-2006 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
i will take a look ...I know i have that one around somewhere. .I will take a look at script ...

some scripts work in maya 7 ..dont work in maya 8 and vica versa ..I will try to see if I can get it to work tonight ...

what happens if you do it manually ?

# 8 30-09-2006 , 04:58 PM
If you do have this one, is there any chance you can run the script for me as described in the tutorial, and then save the scene for me ???? at least then i can start getting to grips with this tutorial...

# 9 30-09-2006 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
hmmmmm i would check it out but one thing I just noticed ..i dont have the mel scripts at all ???

i all the video's and then also all reference pics but i dont have the mel scripts and i went to download again and i dont see them in the first part either

if you upload the mel script he is using i can check ..i have version 7 I will check ...i unistalled maya 8 cause of issues ...

# 10 30-09-2006 , 05:56 PM
Subscriber
okay i got it working ..i had to go to kbrown website to download his refplane mel. I dont know about the other mel scripts but would like them if you are reading Kbrown . i dont know why i am missing them

Last edited by mmoore5553; 30-09-2006 at 08:19 PM.
# 11 30-09-2006 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber
here is the file ...you may have to set the scene again but i followed directions and it worked no problems at all. i can upload the mel script incase yours is bad or something ???

i used maya 7

Attached Files
File Type: zip apache.zip (6.4 KB, 211 views)
# 12 30-09-2006 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber
here is the mel script i found on his website ...

Attached Files
File Type: zip refplanes.zip (2.7 KB, 203 views)
# 13 01-10-2006 , 10:17 AM
Thanks for the zips, but it looks as thougfh the problem is either Maya 8 or my hardware/software config, as the system hangs when loading the scene file, tried the script that you provided but get the same responce, I just hope that my PM to KBrown gets a responce, the only thing that i can now hope for is a walkthru of setting the ref planes up and the size and position of those planes, and also the position of the locator.

thanks for the help, much appreciated, still stuck, still very disapointed, but thats life...

# 14 01-10-2006 , 10:20 AM
Subscriber
well I will see if I can load 8 tonight and try to see if it works ..i just think the script may only work on 7 but I will see ...

will get back to you with results sometime today ...

# 15 01-10-2006 , 12:18 PM
Have now completely wiped pc, re-installed windows xp sp2, then installed maya 8, tried refplanes, and system hungf, then installed all available service packs, tried again, still hangs, nothing on system but os and maya...