Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 196 18-07-2008 , 06:03 AM
19 year Veteran
Been watching this one for a long time. Great progress arran!user added image Just curious about one detail. Why are the chains so big? Wouldn't they be a little too heavy to carry. Just curious thats all.

# 197 18-07-2008 , 09:31 AM
Subscriber
mate im having no problem getting very heavy shadows in mental ray preview mode.., im wondering if your shadows are receiving bounce light (if thats what its called) from some illumination.., maybe global because its so uniform.., no gradient.., whats your lighting set up..,

im just looking into mental ray myself.., and wondering how much time it takes to get a grip on it.., its a monster??

no rush.., something you might think about??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 198 18-07-2008 , 04:46 PM
hey - thanks a lot. user added image

THX1138 - yeah - i might make the chains smaller as a couple of people have mentioned it now, though, i really wanted him to look overwhelmed with the chain - i mean, the whole point is that it's his punishment and i wanted it to be kind of over the top. hmmm - i'll try playing with the size.

mirek - thanks - i think the problem was just that i was using a spot that was too wide - once i changed it to a directional light it started to work better. at the moment i think i have three spots and a directional light handling shadows. i've also got final gather turned on as well.

# 199 19-07-2008 , 03:19 AM
Subscriber
are they light linked.., are they sorted to different geometry so to speak??

# 200 19-07-2008 , 05:56 AM
Subscriber
go to the mental ray tab in the directional light.., turn on 'use shadow maps'.., bring the resolution down to 512 (the higher the resolution the darker the shadow..., bring the samples down.., if these work at all.., keep test rendering using samples.

make sure you are using ray trace or you will not get a drop off.

if it does work.., you will get some grain.., but if it works.., we/you can work on getting rid of the grain.

dont know my friend.., worth a try.., its a master piece of a model user added image

not sure if you will get dop off yet.., im still working on that. (for my own sake too.., live and learn and all that !!)

if you are too busy doing other things.., no probs mate user added image

# 201 20-07-2008 , 02:57 AM
hmm - i don't know mirek - i seem to be getting different results. the image below shows a render comparing ray trace shadows with shadow maps (the area outlined in red). shadow maps only seem to make the form shadows darker, not the cast shadows.

Attached Thumbnails
# 202 20-07-2008 , 05:11 AM
Subscriber
i agree..,

OK.., next, did you bring the samples down in the lights mental ray tab??

changing the light angle (directional light mental ray tab) should give you soft fall off too.

also turn off 'cast shaows ' on the ground plane render AE stats.., this is an extra calculation and can cause grain.

are you using depth map or ray trace ?

try depth map (mental ray tab.., cast shadows on) for now with some softness for the edges.., just see what happens.., because when 'cast shadows' is on in the metal ray tab you ARE using depth map shadows.., try taking 'settings from maya and your depth map shadows options will open.., but for the mental ray settings for depth map.

try more resolution and experiment with the samples (30?)

just a little softness

man, youd think something like this would be easy??

arron im not just making this up.., i doing mental ray tuts atm.., hours of them.., so believe me i respect your time.., we all have so little of it.

i agree, cast shadows in this situation is the way to go..,

# 203 20-07-2008 , 02:33 PM
Just to inform you of the difference of shadow maps and raytraced shadows. Shadow maps are much quicker than raytraced shadows because they "fake it".

Shadow map: A simple shadow is rendered as an image. The resolution is the resolution of this image. Then one can for instance blur this image to get a soft shadow. If you want accuracy use raytraced shadows, however these take much more render time. Or one can first use raytraced shadows to see how it "should look like" and then fiddle with the shadow map settings to get it as close, to speed up the render times.

That's it from me, I'll be here all week, good night!

# 204 20-07-2008 , 04:05 PM
hey dj - been a while - thanks for the info. user added image

# 205 20-07-2008 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
but how can he make them darker.., i dont want to bug arron with my wonderings and experiments.., im just trying to help but not doing a good job of it.., i was hoping someone had the answer.., im thinking theres too much illumination in the scene?? but thats just a guess!!!

in the tuts they use the word 'occlude' rather than fake.., but yes.., thats what they say too.., user added image just a line of site from the illumination.., why draw shows for two objects IF one is already IN the shadow of the other.., no bouncing of photons.., ect..,

one could say everything is fake in maya user added image its a fake world in there.., or.., is the fake world out here user added image im guessing out here.., and this is all a dream.

too deep for this time of day (or anytime user added image )

# 206 21-07-2008 , 02:19 AM

Originally posted by mirek03

one could say everything is fake in maya user added image its a fake world in there.., or.., is the fake world out here user added image im guessing out here.., and this is all a dream.

too deep for this time of day (or anytime user added image )

mirek - step...away...from...the...crack...pipe.... user added image

just kidding mate - and you're certainly not bugging me - i appreciate your help. i'm crap when it comes to experimenting so i'm glad when people suggest things to try - even if it doesn't solve the problem.

btw, glad to see you in on the challenge. user added image

# 207 21-07-2008 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber
stepped away from it years ago mate .., at least 10-15 years, wasn't my THING at all.., i prefer to 'relax'.., but i think it left an impression user added image PARANOIA!!!!?????

no, really mate, hard for me to understand whats going on sometimes.., im still living in the 70s i think when all was love and bliss and LSD.., and caring for each other, mainly caring for each other.., (maybe it was me dreaming and the world has always been like this.., unis' that churn out robots instead of thinking people that challenge, in a healthy way, the status quo.)

but this is not a chat line, sooo..,

cheers mate, thanks for the kind words.., appreciated user added image im going away for a few days but im still going to continue with my experiments on the laptop.

best for you and your work.., hope it gets sorted soon.., you know mood wise i wonder if a little fog would look good.., looks like a steamy back lane he's in??? just a thought user added image

# 208 26-07-2008 , 02:02 PM
hey - here are some renders done over the last few days. think i'm at a stopping point with this - at least for now - i need to work on something else.

Attached Thumbnails
# 209 26-07-2008 , 02:04 PM

Attached Thumbnails
# 210 26-07-2008 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
stunning mate, its nice to know wen too stop.., looks incredible user added image