Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 136 27-10-2011 , 10:20 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Rick, cheers matey.

No, voodoo-wise I generally like to share if I find anything, though the 'supporting' loop approach on corners, I actually kept to myself (as did daverave lol) for a while, though I have tried and tested it successfully on the last film I led the team on....and we didnt have any probs - even for the small budget we had. In fact we had to keep the geo down as best possible as the scale and the amount of digital assets was insane LOL. So that loop trick was really handy. I look forward to sharing that work with you guys in the new year, as I have screen grabs of wires and AOs ready to go, you just gotta wait unfortunately.

With the secondary details, if I can get away with not smoothing and get them in then I'll do it regardless. Theres always a way LOL. Also with this landing gear area despite have the orthos, I felt doing a planar projection was a better way to go, to get a better idea how the geo would sit.

YES...the stack in Max is a godsend. I started out on 3d Max R4 back in 96/97 and remember it from then, you could just go back to that point, and rework that piece with no real interuptions on the mesh, just whats needed I think in Maya's modelling...

Jay

# 137 27-10-2011 , 10:28 AM
I know what you mean, the first release was an absolute pig.

I still hate the new interactive split poly tool though.

Regards

Gary

# 138 27-10-2011 , 10:36 AM
Interactive Split Poly tool???

mmmm intrigue!!!

J

# 139 27-10-2011 , 01:24 PM
EduSciVis-er

# 140 27-10-2011 , 01:31 PM
thats fine. Thanks stwert.

J

# 141 01-11-2011 , 06:08 PM
I use another method for the edge loops it achieves the same result but with no pinching.

I use bevel and then add an edge to each corner to get rid of the nGon and Tri.

I can post a vid if anyone want to see it.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

Attached Thumbnails
# 142 01-11-2011 , 06:40 PM
That is an ideal approach Clear, but the issue one often runs into on curved and other surfaces is you do not always have the luxury of being able to run the eight edges I have drawn red arrows pointing too. Trying to run all those edges around a curves surface can be very hard to do without causing creases or changing the curvature of the surface.

I have used two approaches for to solve this. The first one is the one Jay is using. Create an inset and then draw edges from the corner of the outer inset to either side of the corner of the inner inset (see my squiggly drawing labeled 1).

Sometimes the very acute angle causes problems (expecially if the entire mesh is to sparse). In those situations I find method 2 works better. Make two insets, then draw edges on either side of the inner inset perpendicular to the inner and middle edges and then bring those edges to the corner of the outermost inset and delete the middle edge forming the kite. This approach will often yield better results (see the scribble I labeled 2).

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-11-2011 at 08:19 PM.
# 143 01-11-2011 , 07:44 PM
Hi Rick,

I see what you are saying. The eight loops you mention (green on my pic) are not added they are part of the original mesh. The only loops I add after the bevel are the orange ones.

Curved objects do cause their own headaches but again I seem to be able to get a decent result.

Of course everyone has their own way of working just thought I'd share.

Attached Thumbnails
# 144 01-11-2011 , 08:11 PM
I understand your solution and it is an ideal one provided you have those supporting edges already in place in the area you are insetting.. All I was saying is you do not always have those 8 supporting corner edges already in the mesh.

Look at the exhaust opening for instance on Jay's P-51. If the opening was inset and you did not already have the supporting edges they would have to be (a) added as in the example below or (b) you'd have to subdivide the mesh 2 times to create the supporting edges throughout the entire mesh! This quickly becomes very expensive and makes the mesh very dense and hard to work with.

Below is an example. You already have a surface and you want to make an inset section highlighted on the bottom image.

In the middle image you see the inset and the 4 edges loops that have to be added to support the corners.

On the top you see the faces that have been created throughout the entire model.

And in the second image you see the crease now created running the length of the surface.

To create the mesh such that you have the support edges available means you'd have to subdivide the mesh at least two times which starts to create very heavy geometry. Which become more complicated if you want to add in more openings in other places.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-11-2011 at 08:28 PM.
# 145 01-11-2011 , 09:06 PM
Hi Rick,

Yes I see what you are getting at. I didn't see Jays example just the ones that followed which all show the extrude within existing geo.

Regards

Gary

Last edited by clearairstudios; 02-11-2011 at 12:42 PM.
# 146 02-11-2011 , 09:49 AM
It helps to read the thread not just the following stuff user added image

cheers
Jay

# 147 02-11-2011 , 11:56 AM
It does indeed Jay. user added image

# 148 02-11-2011 , 01:25 PM
The 'kite' layout is a good one too, Ive used that one alot as well.

All the stuff Rick mentioned is all valid so anyone reading the thread take note......!!!

I dont mind the thread hijack by the way....as long as its relevant info carry one. We can always link some of this stuff to the topology thread in the lounge.

Jay

# 149 02-11-2011 , 03:15 PM
Had a bit pf spare time this afternoon so thought I'd test out a few methods that have been discussed.

The method that Jay and Dave have shown is the best for the irregular shape cut outs like the fuselage panel that don't follow the exiting geo, its also important to space the edges evenly on the hole, as Jay has done, so they influence the corners evenly all round the hole.

For the corners I do a bevel and keep it in the history so I can increase or decrease the sharpness of the corner.

In pic one 1 & 2 are created using my usual method 3 & 4 using the method Jay has used.

Pic two shows the method I use un-smoothed using the bevel tool. Again I keep the history so I can tweak the edges.

Thanks to Jay and Rick for the tips, really useful.

Regards

Gary

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by clearairstudios; 02-11-2011 at 03:34 PM.
# 150 03-11-2011 , 01:21 PM
Oh for those with Interactive polytool probs, paste this to your script editor and put on your shelf.....

SplitPolygonTool

that will give you the old tool back.....in 2012

Jay