Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 136 04-05-2012 , 09:18 PM
The thin red line
Thanks Rick
Im starting to think its more the microphone setup, I did rush this out to help Creck I can always use caption but I would like to get the mic working ...............dave

# 137 04-05-2012 , 10:11 PM
I am sure you will get it worked out. Here are some things that might help...

1. make sure you don't have the mic mute on. lol. sounds silly but my headset has a boxon the cord with a volume pot, and mute switch and I can't tell you how many times I accidentally muted it.

2. make sure camtasia is recording from the correct mic

3. in the mic properties level tab you may need to increase the gain

4. I think Dave suggests using PCM for mode

5. check all 4 tabs of the mic properties. The main one to look at being levels. But there are some test modes in there where you can record a small snippet and play it back to dial things in. There may be noise suppression, echo cancellation, and DC offset cancellation. I flip them all on.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 04-05-2012 at 10:31 PM.
# 138 04-05-2012 , 10:14 PM
Great community
Anyway dave, even if audio is bad, I am thankful to you as well as to Rick that you had found a time and did it for me...

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 139 04-05-2012 , 10:14 PM
One note, on the video, well two actually...

It may have been covered but when you create the motion path a start and end keyframe is create. If you find when you make the snapshot things get bunched up at the start and end it is most like due to the In and Out tangents being set to autotangent or ease in / ease out.

You want to set the in / out tangents to "linear".

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-05-2012 at 04:57 AM.
# 140 04-05-2012 , 10:19 PM
As for the flipping. I feel another rant coming on! This "feature" has driven me mad in Maya from day one and I do not know of an easy way to fix the damn thing! You would think setting the up vector to OBJECT Y would be enough but for some reason it always seems to use UP as WORLD Y. Which is why the tracks flip at the half way points.

I am still researching a clean way to fix this. You can make two snapshots of the portion that is correct, and the portion that is incorrect and invert the up axis. But there has to be a more logical solution.

I continue to seek it out.

# 141 05-05-2012 , 12:14 AM
okay I have found at least one solution to the flipping problem. Gonna record it because there are some interesting things that I am still confused about and maybe someone watching the video can explain...

Here you go this is a discussion about objects that flip as they go around a motion path or animation snapshot. I show one method that should work but behaves in a way that I just cannot explain. And two methods that work but seem overly complex to me.

https://youtu.be/28hyOzzPG6I

Last edited by ctbram; 05-05-2012 at 02:19 AM.
# 142 05-05-2012 , 06:54 AM
The thin red line
Thanks Rick
Yes I did the same parenting a locator to the track anoying that it did not work, I dont think I have had the tangent problem but will look out for it, will play about with the mic set when I have some free time............dave

Edit:if you use a cube instead of a locator it some times works, I think its to do with the object up a locator is not a object?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 05-05-2012 at 08:50 AM.
# 143 05-05-2012 , 12:36 PM
RE: The In / Out Animation Tangents

My guess is, in Maya 2012 at least, that the default in and out tangents are set to auto.

I went to windows / preferences / animation and found you can change the default in and out tangents to whatever you want. I should have set it to linear before doing the video and wasting all that time having to keep changing it.

However, it does point out the issue for those that run a version of Maya where the default in and out tangents are set to auto but I should have shown that the default could be changed.

Last edited by ctbram; 05-05-2012 at 06:52 PM.
# 144 05-05-2012 , 12:53 PM
No joy on using an object in place of the locator. If I scrub fast it still starts to rotate until it's sideways and the animation snapshot just explodes. It's frustrating because I cannot come up with a logical explanation of why it behaves this way.

the only thing I can say is Autodesk and alias programmers have a sick sense of humor and did this because they thought it would be funny to make peoples heads EXPLODE!

But seriously maya has been out 14+ years and this issue has existed as far back as I recall. I have seen at least a dozen Rube Goldberg ways to solve this flipping issue. I have seen countless peoples posts pleading for a solution. It's been 14 years and still no response from Alias, or Autodesk. Not even an acknowledgement that it's an issue.

Yet another thing that should have been fixed years ago! I mean how can you allow people to create a motion path but not have the path form a loop without the thing on the loop flipping twice!

Last edited by ctbram; 05-05-2012 at 12:55 PM.
# 145 05-05-2012 , 03:22 PM
Great community
Well, today I have made a tracks and suspension system, but cogged wheels are still missing. Thanks to you guys for tutorials, I could not be able to do that without you as you have discovered to me techniques that made it much faster and easier.

Attached Thumbnails

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 146 05-05-2012 , 03:37 PM
The thin red line
That looks nice Creck glad we could help.................dave

# 147 05-05-2012 , 04:09 PM
Great community
However, poly count of whole tank will be really high. I think about 4.5mil with smooth lvl2 . Is it too much for a tank? ... what's an average amount of polys of vehicle in movies ?

Last edited by Creck; 05-05-2012 at 05:45 PM.
# 148 05-05-2012 , 06:37 PM
Looks good Creck....Rick

It looks like each of the track pieces is pretty complex. I'd have to see individual links to see if they can be optimized. You could try to model them unsmoothed with bevels as that will usually produce a much lower poly count then a smoothed part. Then there is the normal mapping route, but to me that always looks like a game model in the end. But I will also admit I am still trying to learn proper normal mapping.

Last edited by ctbram; 05-05-2012 at 06:50 PM.
# 149 05-05-2012 , 07:26 PM
The thin red line
Yes Rick is right I used smoothed and unsmoothed on the track on the sherman to reduce poly count and all the bolts were unsmoothed with bevels, I think poly count for films would be set by how close the camera was going to be high for close low for far.............dave

Edit:Rick I could not get a good normal map for that grill

# 150 05-05-2012 , 07:33 PM
Normal maps have me flumuxed still Dave. I think it's because NM's are related to texturing and I really need to lock myself in my room for a couple weeks and start learning to use PS and texture painting techniques.