Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-11-2004 , 07:44 AM

How To Ask Questions the Smart Way

Here is some good advice for how to post more productive questions on these forums:

https://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I highly recomend that people read this. Although the article is talking specifically about hacker communities, the information there applies to this community as well. That information can also be used as good guidelines for anyone asking questions in the IRC channel.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 2 28-11-2004 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
Excellent refence. I will take this to heart as I learn maya and wish others would take it to heart as they learn the programs I know well.

Hoop

# 3 15-12-2004 , 10:07 PM
Very informative, thank you danny. Now to get everyone else on boarduser added image

# 4 07-02-2005 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
maybe make this an "ultrasuper-sticky"
then ppl can actually read it and ask question that are actually put into a form of a question. i know ppl are noobie to 3d, but can u be noobies to asking Q's or searching online?

# 5 03-03-2005 , 07:32 PM
thank you

# 6 09-03-2005 , 04:54 PM

Zabulus

Yes! Yes! All you 3d masters were born with the knowlege of everything and never in your life asked a stupid question !!! A question is still a question if you dont want to answer just dont!!!! But this does'nt give the right to judge an other member or the right to forbite a newer member to ask whatever he wants!!! Of course, first off all, the members must search for them selfs but not everyone can do it for a various of reasons!!! So be more patients... I am the stupiest newbe in the hole world and i dont have internet at home or a manual so i will contine to ask my stupid questions if this is anoying for you i am really sorry!!!!
My english sucs!!!! YEA!

# 7 10-03-2005 , 09:11 AM
Subscriber
Good advice, definetely. Generally this forum seems to be not too bad, at least I´ve been to places that are far worse. (World of Warcraft forums anyone?)

Zabulus: noone said you couldn´t ask whatever questions you want, but if you want a better chance of getting a useful answer, this is a good way to go about it. That´s all. user added image

------------------------------------------------
Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
# 8 11-03-2005 , 12:09 PM
yeah i personally dont know anything about 3d modelling ect. Im a gamer and i draft for a living. If someone asks me a question that is an easy answer i dont be rude to them. Everyone has to start somewhere. It really doesnt hurt to write a quick little answer, and if you really dont want to. DONT. Its not a hard thing to click that back button on your browser and move onto the next post. People (and iv noticed it happens alot with people who sit at computers all day) who post rude replies are generally those who think they are the bomb but probably sit in there own filth, neva leave their home and have no offline friends. I know people that are actually incredibly wicked at 3d models and photoshop kinda stuff, and they are some of the most helpful people i know, and by seeing there faces, and the faces of those who feel they have the right to be rude to newbies when you ask a sincere but dumb question is comforting and you see that they enjoy helping, because instead of trying to keep on their own and think they are the bombest of all that is bomb, they try to help to get people interested in this kind of work and make for a larger, more knowledgable, more friendly community, and a large and friendly community is the best thing you can be in.

Now that iv had my preach, i thank you for reading.
Cheers

# 9 05-04-2005 , 01:50 AM

well said!

think there are a few people with no lives out there, probablly bullied at school and no friends who get power from hiding behind there monitorn ot knowing how to talk to people or answer questions politely through lack of social skills! ....losers...sorry luser - get a lifeuser added image

# 10 09-04-2005 , 08:58 AM
Subscriber
Sometimes you just need to think out LOUD!!!!!

..and so far, all my questions here has been answered, even the ones that I thought were stupid. Sometimes stupid questions can turn into a real interesting subject.

So don't ever be afraid to ask peopleuser added image

(don't be afraid to think either ..lol)

# 11 09-04-2005 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 12 09-04-2005 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber
Ha! Ha! Ha! A great learning movieuser added image

# 13 09-04-2005 , 07:38 PM
Subscriber
Yes, I remember that one.. quite funny. And it's true, too. Except I have no idea what the Steam forums are, but that doesnt really matter hehe.

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
# 14 09-04-2005 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber
lol yea. i dont know wat steam forums are either. could be a band or clan name.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 15 12-04-2005 , 11:42 PM
Steam is a program made by the company VALVe as a way for gamers to play games. It includes the ever popular Half-life 2, Half-life, Counter-strike (and CS:Source), Day of Defeat, and so on.