Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-11-2006 , 12:01 PM

dining room WIP

hey guys, ive been off for a while now, but here is something i've been working on user added image

please C+C user added image

rendering as always in Indigo, quick renders between 30~60 minutes (low quality)

user added image

user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 2 07-11-2006 , 01:27 PM
the lighting in the 2nd render looks better, but the noise is a little distracting...

you say those renders took 30-60 minutes? what's the poly count?

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 07-11-2006 , 01:34 PM
poly count is about (sorry i dont have maya opened right now) 200,000-300,000. I'm re-rendering a new one for a couple of hours, I'll post it latter

# 4 07-11-2006 , 05:50 PM
update user added image after 4.5 hours of rendering

user added image

# 5 07-11-2006 , 07:08 PM
Simply Maya OG

Originally posted by MattTheMan
poly count is about (sorry i dont have maya opened right now) 200,000-300,000. I'm re-rendering a new one for a couple of hours, I'll post it latter

Are you serious? 200,000 polys? Just for a few plates, glasses, a table cloth, and a table? I can make the same scene, w/around 50,000 polys, IF that. I mean, why use a renderer thats gonna take 4.5 HOURS to render? I dont care how good the quality is...4.5 HOURS is a LONG time to render a simple scene like that...

- Hybrid
# 6 07-11-2006 , 07:17 PM
I can assure you that the number of plygons isn't the most time consuming thing when it comes to rendering. Rendering 50 000 polys or 200 000 isn't that much of a time difference.

Sometimes (very often) you want the best possible quality of the render and then you don't care how long it takes. And it's up to you of you want quality or speed. And an unbiased renderer is far more easy to set up and gives more realistic results than "normal" render engines. However they take far more longer time.

# 7 07-11-2006 , 09:44 PM
i think i gotta agree with hybrid... regardless of your poly count you should know how to light your scene and create a 'photo-realistic' render without spending half the day... even with mental ray and the most time-extensive options enabled i'm sure you could come up with a similar render but only take up 10-25 minutes on a high quality render... if you know what settings to take advantage of, of course...

Accept no substitutions.
# 8 07-11-2006 , 10:03 PM
Scene looks good but the table looks miniature and seems to be floating. Maybe if the floor tiles were smaller it would give more an impression of a larger sized table and room.

# 9 08-11-2006 , 04:19 AM
see, I like to agree with DJbLAZER, because I don't feel like spendiing the time tweaking all of the setings that can be tweaked in order to get this image. What I do is I click render after selecting the objects I have as lights, and I go... i don't know, yesterday it was to a movie. I come back home, and wow! Cool render!
This is instead of the 2 hours or so taken to twek all of the little settings and what nots user added image

However, can I get some actual C&C rather than getting bashed on my rendering techniques?

actual poly count is 176 000. I'll do another render to show you why it takes so long, looking at my lights user added image

ps. table cloth was 50k and each napkin is 7k (simulated cloth for best realism user added image)

oh and I know table is floating, every time I remember... i forget to put the legs in.

Last edited by MattTheMan; 08-11-2006 at 04:25 AM.
# 10 08-11-2006 , 04:29 AM
Subscriber
I agree with hybrid and neostrider, also if you'd do this for your job (which you don't -but still) you couldn't spend so much time on just one render.
and now for some "real" c&c's
I don't see the point in going for a photorealistic render if you don't add some legs and maybe chairs or something. If you want to have something looking realistic you will have to add personality. Something that makes the place look like a dinner table people use. If you want to show off pretty renders, forget what I said.

Last edited by farbtopf; 08-11-2006 at 04:33 AM.
# 11 08-11-2006 , 04:48 AM
chairs! yes I will i will user added image and table legs- i'm doing that RIGHT now user added image

but the reason my rencders take so long is because of my lights- I have 4 of these:

Attached Images

# 12 08-11-2006 , 04:52 AM
Great scene! user added image

(Pixar uses around 17 hours for each image/frame in a movie..
But they got quite a few computers rendering at once :p)

If I don't want to tweak settings for hours in Mental Ray or
something to get a 100% photo realistic image I use Indigo...
But if I want to have control over everything, I use Mental Ray user added image
I use Indigo just for the fun of it :p It's really a great toy user added image

Anyway, keep it up Matt!

# 13 08-11-2006 , 08:28 AM
I'm making an experiment now, just to see how it looks with only an HDR image. I will add chairs and table legs after this full sized render is done user added image

so far all I've got is a tiny image, but I'll update this post later with the finished large render user added image

user added image

# 14 08-11-2006 , 08:45 AM
hey matttheman - good to see you back on SM. Nice scene, though it looks a little clean at the moment. Aside from some chairs and table legs (Doh!) how about some pictures on the walls and maybe some food on the plates? Also, I am not sure about the liquid in the jars. What are they drinking? coloured water and urine? ...just kidding. user added image

Keep up the good work mate.user added image

# 15 08-11-2006 , 09:30 AM
haha, the jars are just there for decoration lol, theres nothing in them :bandit:

however, im rendering one with chairs and table legs right now user added image

next come posters and... stuff lol

here's the bigger one with just HDRI for lighting
(sorry for the dark pic user added image)

Attached Images