Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-05-2011 , 10:19 PM

My Favorite Toy Challenge - Daveido

I really had to think and then choose from two candidates when deciding. I really really love Buzz Lightyear and the toy soldiers from Toy Story - even now a few of them are on the shelf, they just look cool, and remind me of the good ol' times user added image
But finally I decided a few days ago on the Thinktoy Buzz because of the complexity and the texturing challange. I really hope to learn a lot from this, it was a long time ago when I last (and ironically first) participated in a challange.

[Maybe if I have time I will add later on a few soldiers to my Toy Story repertoire user added image ]

I'll soon update Buzz, working on his leg right now, I'll try to finish with it, then upload. Good luck everybody!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 22-05-2011 , 06:39 AM
Well, I'm gonna upload the leg the way it is, I didn't do as much as I wanted to, but I've been very busy over the weekend, and will be, so I don't know if I can do any more of the foot area... So that will be delayed a few days user added image
Still needs some tweaking, and detailing (in the middle for example), but I'm only gonna do that after the overall shape is ready for the whole leg.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 22-05-2011 , 07:46 AM
The thin red line
Your making a good start.........good luck.......dave

# 4 23-05-2011 , 01:55 PM
So this is the improvement I did today. The leg is almost done, still needs some detailing around the thigh area, maybe some review of the shape of the foot.
The next big step will be the chest, so the fun starts now! user added image The leg was kind of a warm up compared to the little details of his suit and the face, buttons, etc
Any suggestions welcomed! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 24-05-2011 , 08:32 AM
Nice start. Do you always start from the bottom and work your way up?

# 6 24-05-2011 , 12:04 PM
Thanks user added image
Well no, or it depends. I started modeling the leg first here, because I though that it will give a firm base, and it's relatively easy, so I'll be done in a short amount of time. And when I get to the chest area it will have a more finished look.
So it was pretty much a random decision user added image

# 7 24-05-2011 , 01:10 PM
ohh i see. user added image looks good either way. Keep it up.

# 8 24-05-2011 , 04:25 PM
So I couldn't wait any longer and put together a quick material test user added image I did the chest area today, and started working on the wings and the back... that part is tricky, so it's still pretty wip...
The shaders are also wip, I just wanted to see how it will look user added image still needs some color correction though, but I think I'm heading the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 25-05-2011 , 02:28 AM
Lifetime Member
Nice mate!! ggod start...love the character too

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 27-05-2011 , 02:46 PM
I had a lot of work to do in the past few days, so I had no time for improving the model... But today I had a little chance, so here it is! user added image Hope you like it!
The wings are in the making, I just hid them because they still need a lot of refining. But I plan that in the end they will move just like with the real Buzz user added image
I also started the face, but it's still pretty simple.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 27-05-2011 , 04:18 PM
EduSciVis-er
This is looking really good... for some reason I hear "Buzz.. Buzz.. Buzz... Lightyear to the rescue"

# 12 28-05-2011 , 01:26 AM
Nice Deatils. Daveido Good Luck.

# 13 28-05-2011 , 01:57 AM
The Nurb Herd
looks like you need to colour correct your renders.

# 14 28-05-2011 , 06:24 AM
Looks really good.. Now you have to do the head and you are nearly finished..

user added image

# 15 28-05-2011 , 08:01 AM
stwert: Thanks user added image I've been hearing that to... Especially because I watched the 3 Toy Story movies this week for reference user added image

Nukefr: thank you!

honestdom: Yes, I know, but as I mentioned in an earlier post these are just temporary colors, so it's not grey, and it can give some idea what will it look like. I'm planning on making some interesting textures for it instead of these plain texture (scratches and some little and subtle details) - hope I can do it, this always has been a hard area for me.

serzz: Thanks, yeah, I'm suffering with the head right now... user added image I did it yesterday with two different approaches, but I just can't find a good reference for that and his face is really off, and makes the whole thing just bad... But it's coming along, I will post it when I feel I hit the spot user added image