Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 13-08-2003 , 05:48 AM
Subscriber

Past Life

I am still a novice when it comes to lighting so please be a little forgiving in that area user added image

this is a lil piece i put together as kind of a "i wish my home were this cool" type of thing :bgreen:

before textures:

user added image

After Textures:

user added image

so yes i wonder "Is this good enough for the gallery?"

user added image we shall see

# 2 13-08-2003 , 06:36 AM
Hey man, I like it. Alot. Very good.

If you would let me critize something it would be theese points:

*Major:
- I think you should include that border between floor and walls(don't know the english word) that is there in the untextured one but not in the textured. make it dark wood or something.

*Minor:
- The table has to much light bouncingoff it's edges.
- Perhaps the sofa takes too much light under the lamp. This makes the lamp look as it shines *really* bright.

My 2 cents. great work.
Hey, who spilt that martini? goddammit.

:::::CauseIsayso:::::

'I for one care less for them'

# 3 13-08-2003 , 06:46 AM
Subscriber
thank you =)

hmm there already *is* a wood texture on the TRIM (the border between the floor and wall user added image )

i will see what i can do to make it more apparent.

The table, i was trying to go for a more plastic kind of look hmm maybe i should make it a little more matte.

any suggestions on material type in that case?

as for the couch yes that was a little tricky with the lighting there =/ hmm maybe i should change the texture on the lamp's post then.

i always enjoy hearing people's thought/suggestions/criticsism it helps me see what i can't and helps me fix those things =)

thank you =)

# 4 13-08-2003 , 12:55 PM
The concept loosely reminded me a bit of Morcheeba's "Big Calm" album design, though theirs is more of an early 70's/60's feel where yours seems to take more ideas from the swing era. Nice job with the suitcase phonograph and the old art posters.

Attached Images

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 13-08-2003 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
you should see the orginal of this scene if i can dig up the old version i'll post it hehe.

yeah everything i have in this scene was taken from a 50's achitechture & furniture design book.

# 6 14-08-2003 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber
Very nice, you might be able to emphasis the wood flooring if the carpet was a slightly different colour. It looks a bit like pebble dash or granite stuff at present.

Apart from that I think it's a really nice piece, I like the small touches like the shaker, the overturned glass and the posters. Good stuff.

# 7 14-08-2003 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
aha! i found the old version =P

this was done while i was attending E'xpression Center for New Media, in my texture and lighting 1 class. That was in 2000 i believe

If anyone has some spare time and would like to help me, i want to learn more about lighting in maya and in general.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by 3dgurl; 14-08-2003 at 03:59 AM.
# 8 14-08-2003 , 10:33 AM
you have a bit of luminance burn out on the cusions i think.. try clamping out the values.. there is a tut for doing that here i belive
https://www.3dluvr.com/pixho/
Texturing and modeling is flawless from what i can see

FX supervisor - double negative
# 9 14-08-2003 , 07:03 PM
That is awesome gurl. I suggest toning the amount of light on the couch down.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 10 15-08-2003 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
Looking at the new version there is a feeling of intimacy to the scene - very successful. A story could take place here. The old version is cold and looks like a furniture arrangement in a shop window.

Technical improvements are icing - it already has something which most 3d fails at - life.

If you can get ahold of a copy of Maya: Secrets of the Pros, do the lighting tutorial. Great stuff.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 11 15-08-2003 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
Cool =D thank you very much. I'll see if i can get my grubby lil paws on that book.

thanks agian to all for comments/suggestions =)

# 12 16-08-2003 , 11:40 PM
Yes, I agree. It has a lot of life.....Maybe some DOf, but not much. Also Maybe a little more diffusion on the couch.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 13 21-08-2003 , 01:30 AM
AWESOME work!!!!!!!!

# 14 02-09-2003 , 04:23 AM
Kill the shadows on the ambient light source. You got shadows coming from light straight above. Maybe put in a ceiling and hang a light there also.

The woodgrain around the trim, dont sweat it. From the distance viewed and in that light, you wouldnt notice it in real life either.

The reflected light on the vases is even all the way from top to bottom. Need a gradiation there. Going to be less light as you move down.

Not bad though.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 15 02-09-2003 , 04:55 AM
Subscriber
Quite a nice picture - I like the 60-70's retrofeel, the wallpaper rocks.

C+C

the pillows look replicated and for that reason, bad. You should just jiggle some cvs and get them to not look so uniform - it wouldn't be so bad if they were them squareish throw pillows, they do tend to look the same, but your ones are kind of like free form and its regularity is disturbing.

the room looks as thought the ambient light is too bright. with that one light, it wouldn't be that bright

the carpet looks kind of odd on the right side of the pic - while on the left side, they seem to go with the perspective. I think it's the way they seem to be catching the light from the lamp. A little strange.

you should move the pictures up a notch. about 0.6-1cm going off that picture would be better. They're too low and fight with the eye for attention

with the lamp where it is, should't the martini glasses and shakers have at least a bit of forward leaning shadow? It looks odd that they're pointed the other direction.

and finally, you could try bumping the luminance/color factor on the pics up a bit. they look a bit gray in comparision to the rest of the scene