Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-04-2005 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber

How to Texture/render?

I'm pretty satisfied with my modelling ability at the minute, and would like to texture/ render etc the scene I have created.
Where can I find tutorials on how to texture etc. I have seen several ppl use photoshop etc. What is the purpose of this? I don't have much experience in using it, nor do I own the software at present. Though if it is pretty much needed I have no problems in going out to buy the programme.

Also, anyone know of anywhere I can get hold of textures etc, For the model of my works office!?

Thanks all.

Mike

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 2 13-04-2005 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber

# 3 13-04-2005 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber
I'm not so lazy that I didn't 'google' it first, but most are for users that understand texturing etc. I have no experience and extremely little understanding of how to go about applying said textures etc, other than the very simplicty of using basic blinn colours etc. So I'd appreciate it if you left out the sarcasm next time.

# 4 13-04-2005 , 12:32 PM
photoshop is used to paint the 2d texture map which is then applied to your 3d model via uv mapping (or camera projecting etc.) UV mapping is a dark art that takes a while to get your head around. But it is a vital skill to master. I suggest you look at the texturing tutes here at SM they would be a great place to start. Or look at Mike's website there is a brief uv mapping tute.

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 13-04-2005 , 12:36 PM
Subscriber
Cheers for that. I've downloaded a realistic wood texture, *.jpeg format. How do I get this from my desktop, on to the hypershade on to my model?

# 6 13-04-2005 , 12:50 PM
you need to edit the uvs of your model (assuming it's a poly model) to layout the mesh as a flat 2d projection. You then assign a shader to it. You then paint your texture map within the map of the uvs and save it as a tif (or a targa) and then assign it in the colour channel of your shader.

You need to find a tutorial that you can read because my explanation isn't going to be enough to get you through this.

user added image
Alan

IMDB
# 7 13-04-2005 , 12:54 PM
Subscriber
Hi there j5ive.

I know a really good website for highres free textures, you can find it here:

https://www.mayang.com/textures/

I've used it loads, and because a lot of the textures are so large, its easy to find at least a part of a texture that will do the job for you. Its also good to grab a digital camera, and go out and take photos of textures yourself (if you have a camera, that is), then you can get exactly what you want.

There are some good texturing tutorials on this site (I would def recommend that you have a look at the render globals tutorial for if you are interested in rendering), but if you feel that they may still be a bit advanced for you, you could try looking at the texturing section at www.learning-maya.com.

Photoshop is a piece of software that you use for image/photo editing and manipulating. When using it with Maya, it is used mainly for creating texture maps, but also for post processing renders. If you are serious about texturing, its probably a must-have piece of software.

How much do you know about texturing?? I'll gladly help you out as much as I can. I'm no expert, but I do know the basics.

LisaG user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 8 13-04-2005 , 01:05 PM
Subscriber
Thanks alot for that link, Lisa. I'm very much a newbie to texturing. After toying around with only modelling maya for a couple of months, I feel it's time to move on and add a touch of character to the bland 'grey' default my models currently all are.

I am quite happy at dragging a 'blinn' adding a colour then assigning to the object, though this feels somewhat amateur-ish, and surely can only add so much basic effect to the model.

There appears to be, [from my point of view] a huge grey area in the step I've said above, to say, 'wrapping' textures around a coke bottle for example. including reflections etc. I don't mind learning extreme basics if it can take me, in time, to the high level which I have witnessed at SM.

Any more help you can offer would be much appreciated.

# 9 13-04-2005 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
just do the tutorials or read the doc to understand them, if u just want "insights" form others how will you really know what u are doing?
the basics; its all in te docs and people gave you great links for indepth tutorials which we all did at some point,
i dont see the sarcasm your talking about... we were all beginners at some point...
learn to take the help instead of complaining about it.

heres a bottle UV and texturing tut from those links google popped up https://www.etc.cmu.edu/bvw/fall04/uv...g_Tutorial.htm

sheeesh... user added image

# 10 13-04-2005 , 01:28 PM

Originally posted by vladimirjp

i dont see the sarcasm your talking about... we were all beginners at some point...
learn to take the help instead of complaining about it.

it's somewhere right around here:

Originally posted by vladimirjp
this place has everything. i just typed "maya texturing tutorials"
check it out, its amazing!!

The tutorial posted about the coke bottle is probably exactly what you are looking for though. Check it out and see if you understand it and then we can help with the parts you don't get.

:bandit:

IMDB
# 11 13-04-2005 , 01:36 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for that. I Think I may have the basics now [fingers crossed] , though I do not know where to find this Coke tutorial, having briefly looked at the link 'Sarcastic Vlad' supplied it seemed to make sense.Hhopefully I can continue from there without hassling you lot too much!

Hopefully, I shall post a WIP of the current scene I am working on soon, then you can all take credit into guiding a 'blind maya user' into producing a relatively respectable render. Thats the theory anyway, lol.

Mike

# 12 13-04-2005 , 01:54 PM
Subscriber
As soon as you post up a wip, I'm sure we'll all be able to help you a lot more, but yes, the coke bottle tut does look like a nice place to start. I can also recommend a book that you might like to look at, Digital Texturing and Painting by Owen Demers.

LisaG user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 13 13-04-2005 , 02:00 PM
Subscriber
Thanks again, It's sods law that I have had the PLE Book Suite for a couple of months now, though the one book of the series that is on back order is the Texturing/Rendering book, lol. I'll chase up my order, if I'm still struggling to get my head around it I'll look into the book you suggested.

Though, admittedly I am terrible at self learning etc, I find it much easier to be shown something in person, as it appears to stick first time as opposed from trying to translate what others percieve as being stright forward tutorials which to me most of the time is simple jibberish!