Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-09-2005 , 08:51 AM

Polygon and extrude prob

Here is the prob. I was following a car tut I got off the net, and all was well, then i wanted to make some fine adjustments to tweak the surface of the car, so I highlighted my vertices, and pulled them up and down etc. The problem was that when I moved them as a result I got a wierd kind of extrude. Other faces formed as i pulled them up.I rectified this by moving the new formed vetices down, but this can be right.

Also when I wanted to extrude the car door a little from the car body, I highlighted all the polygons and went to extrude only to find that all the faces extruded in their own direction, and it ended up like some wierd abstract. I want them to all extrude together.

Finaly, when I highlight the faces now, I dont just get markers in the middle of the poygons indicating each face. I also get markers on the edges. Is this right? I deleted these markers, is this perhaps why the poygons dont stay together? Hope you guys can help.

# 2 09-09-2005 , 04:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
make sure Polygons > Tool Options > Keep Faces Together is turned on.

# 3 09-09-2005 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
also remeber, that when you have extra faces ( like the one's you deleted on the edges) make sure to merge the vertices that are left behind. If you bring up your poly count disply and draw a marquie around one of the vertices along the edge that you deleted the extra face you will find that there are really 2 not 1 and this will cause you some problems. If you still don't get what your after with extruding your faces, after you have set keep faces together, try clicking the round center botton on the extrude tool.