Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 07-01-2007 , 05:08 PM

Windows Vista

Hi guys,
Before I install vista i wanna know if maya supports vista?
Have anyone done that?

Yo mamma!
# 2 07-01-2007 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
i tried the beta for a few months using both maya 7 and 8 (32 bit) and they both worked fine.

I had other issues with vista but maya was not one of them

hope that helps

# 3 09-01-2007 , 11:11 AM
what other issues did you have? - just curious.

# 4 09-01-2007 , 11:30 AM
Senior Software Developer
I would not touch Vista with a 10 foot barge pole. Sticking with XP. Played with both Betas and didnt see the benfits, if your gonna do Vista, you may as well go to Mac OS X. Again MSD have stole its layout (kinda) from Mac. Where do you think Windows 3.11 came from hmmm. And it wasn't OS2/Warp, they stole it from MS LOL :attn:

Far too resource heavy, XP is bad enough for that.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 09-01-2007 , 11:56 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
what other issues did you have? - just curious.

1) Stupiedly Super large icons (arrr that s*** had to go)

2) Could not run battle for middle earth 2 on it (which I was heavly into at that point) but yet it play F.E.A.R with no problems. They were the ony two games I tried.

3) Photoshop kept bugging out due to memory running out (my arse I had loads free)

4) It hard a hard time reading my 2nd and 4th hard drives. 1 was sata the other ide (just dont think it liked them)

5) Took forever to try and catergize all my files in My Pictures with its new browzer layout. (Infact I think every time it tried it crashed)

6) Kept trying to open all media with media player - which I never use as it sucks - even after I changed the prefs.

None of them were major problems but problems I can`t live with yet, so I will be waiting awhile before I switch.

Any how this months 3dworld (feb 2007 number 87) has a whole section on "what vista means for 3d artists" - If you can grab a copy its well worth a read.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 09-01-2007 at 12:26 PM.
# 6 09-01-2007 , 01:37 PM
From your comments it sounds like that Windows Vista has all the traits of a professional OS - perfect for doing things like: running Maya, nuclear power stations, aircraft carriers and the International Space Station. I mean, with the exceptional stability it offers, what can possibly go wrong? (I'm being sarcastic)

R@nSiD > 'I would not touch Vista with a 10 foot barge pole'

I believe the proper method of handling Vista is through those robot arm things they use to move plutonium around in nuclear power stations (Vista is unstable! Its gonna crash at any moment!)

# 7 09-01-2007 , 01:58 PM
Subscriber
haha ransid, me too

just watch "pirates of silicon valley" and you will know more about microsoft/apple/billgates/stevejobs. its a pretty good movie. microsoft steal soo many things/ideas of people.
(movie is true story btw)

mj