Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 136 08-11-2009 , 01:36 PM
The Nurb Herd
number 2 for me.

# 137 08-11-2009 , 03:08 PM
Okay #2

How about this ... (4)

I did not realize it but it's looking like a clown fish with the orange white and black. But I like orange. I might change the winglet scheme a bit. I like 1 and 4.

The engine will be easier since it will mostly be aluminum.

I started this project about this time last year and I hope to have it composited by Christmas. In my defense I was done with the modeling fairly quickly, I got wound around the axle trying to texture it, gave up for several months and just came back it. I only tinker with it on and off while I have been studying painting techniques with photoshop and enough of bodypaint 3d to get the basic stuff projected onto the surface.

I plan to add more signage in the fuselage. It reminds me if a coastguard vehical with the current colors. The nice thing is I have it all set up in layers so I will play with other colors.

I want to thank Jay for the tutorial and I hope he is pleased with the results when it is completed.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 08-11-2009 at 08:15 PM.
# 138 08-11-2009 , 08:03 PM
Coldwave: Yes the panel lines, rivets, latches, and hatches are all drawn in with photoshop. I plan use them in the color map and bump map (4k square maps).

Then I will add drips layer, grunge layer, and chips and scratch layer along with more signage.

Not sure I am doing any of this correctly. I am making up the workflow as I blindly plod along.

I keep posting all the painful steps in the hopes that the folks that are more skilled with texture painting, based on some of the great works I have seen here, will steer me in the right direction if I start painting (literally) my self into a corner.

Here is the model before the fuselage paint over....

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 09-11-2009 at 12:16 AM.
# 139 09-11-2009 , 12:53 AM
Testing text...

Just doing some experimenting with text. The original is at 2k x 2k and I think I will need to go to 4k x 4k for text to look correct on closer shots.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 11-11-2009 at 03:53 PM.
# 140 10-11-2009 , 11:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey CTBRam

Yeah its looking very cool, better than mine!!

With regards to your dilemma with texturing tutes, as long as you learn the basics of how to create your maps the rest will follow suit and over time you will become better and better, just experiment with your blend modes too in PS's layers you can achieve a whole different look to each map, use the burn and dodge tools to lighten and darken specific areas etc to. Also get plenty of references and categorize them ie:metal, wood etc by googling different worldy objects and search for textures, theres a few sites around that offer freebies, check the resources section of SM theres a few good links over there too. I have a whole external drive dedicated purely for textures and I know each one personally LOL.

Just dont get your heart set on tutes all the time to save you as its down to you at the end of the day and your skills as an artist.

You are on the right track anyway....

Jay

# 141 13-11-2009 , 06:19 AM
Subscriber
Damn Jay, you sound like me with reference images, textures, and Just random crap to use. ( Hey this short carpet looks nice, I'll save it -- 6 months later it becomes a tweaked gray scale image used for the non skid surface on a Abrams tank..LoL )

CTBRam project is looking nice, I personally don't care for the orange, though, i'll admit it has potential with other maps added is suppose, But i'll not knock a model that looks good and is well constructed based upon a personal color preference. Keep up good work user added image

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!

Last edited by G-Man; 13-11-2009 at 06:23 AM.
# 142 18-11-2009 , 11:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I just about have the map for the panel lines, and rivets, hatches and latches details done. Those are the really hard. I keep having to play with different projections. Straight lines are really tough unless you go with a perfect orthogonal projection. But then you have to split things up into four planar projections and deal with seams. Bozhe Moy!

I agree Legend I am not totally happy with the colors. I like the pattern though. I used to keep a large 400 gallon marine aquarium and I think I was subconsciously thinking of clown fish for the colors or maybe I watched "Finding Nemo" one to many times (lol).

I have been tinkering with colorize but have not chanced on a better combination yet.

If anyone wants to toss any color pallet suggestions my way I will gladly try them out.

As for workflow, I am probably not working in the correct order but I am obsessed with getting the panel details right as they are something I really want to learn how to do. I have a keen interest in futuristic quasi military vehicles and once I get the workflow for this down I will have the tools I need to do a bunch of models along these lines.

Last edited by ctbram; 18-11-2009 at 11:38 PM.