Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 23-01-2010 , 01:14 AM

Modeling question

I am working on a polygon model and I have noticed that it seems for each polygon in the model there are two polygons that occupy the same space. I am not sure how this happened in the first place, but my question is is there an easy way to fix this. I have put a good amount of time into this model and I would like to correct this problem but because I am such a newbie I am not sure what to do. A push in the correct direction would be most appreciated.

d

# 2 23-01-2010 , 03:29 AM
Can you post a small screenshot of the problem I am nt sure what you mean. For instance every quad polygon consists of two tri polygons. All models are triangulated at render time.

Or are you seeing laminar faces as you model?

Or are you seeing mirrored faces as you model?

You see the confusion? There are several ways for what you are describing to happen and some more details or a screen image would help.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 23-01-2010 , 02:09 PM
If the polygon is a quad then each one overlays the other and occupies the same space one on top of the other. Same for any other shape polygon.

d

user added image

Last edited by roontoon; 23-01-2010 at 02:49 PM.
# 4 23-01-2010 , 03:34 PM
Lifetime Member
This has happened most likely because you have selected the the extrude tool and then unselected it without using it , creating a duplicate of your mesh over the original.You have to be careful if you select the extrude tool and either use it to extrude or undo if you change your mind rather than just selecting another tool.
The bad news is there is no way to fix this apart from going over your model one polygon at a time and deleting the duplicate ...a hard lesson to learn but not forgotten im afraid .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 23-01-2010 , 05:36 PM

Originally posted by jsprogg
The bad news is there is no way to fix this apart from going over your model one polygon at a time and deleting the duplicate ...a hard lesson to learn but not forgotten im afraid .

Ouch!!.... Isn't the extrude tool only selectable from the from the menus? Or is there also a button somewhere? Thanks.

d

# 6 23-01-2010 , 05:47 PM
jsprog is most likely correct you appear to have extruded all the faces.

But that is not what you described. It sounded to me from your desription that every time you create an object you were getting multiple faces.

There are two ways to extrude faces, one by selecting all the faces then using the edit mesh / extrude or the marking menu version. Two selecting the entire object and pressing edit mesh / extrude (this is most likely what you inadvertently did).

You can fix this though using mesh / cleanup and selecting delete laminar faces. This should delete all the faces that are occupying the same space.

Good luck.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 23-01-2010 , 08:00 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you had used the extrude function, you can repeat the last command simply by hitting 'g'. This is probably how you did it accidentally.

# 8 23-01-2010 , 08:33 PM

Originally posted by ctbram
You can fix this though using mesh / cleanup and selecting delete laminar faces. This should delete all the faces that are occupying the same space.

Thanks. This seems to work pretty well. One more question, is there a way to see vertices that overlap and should be attached to each other but are not.

Thanks again

d

# 9 23-01-2010 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
you can grab a vertex and move it or if they are part of border edges then just make your border edges more visible

go to Windows > settings/preferences > preferences
then under display click on polygons and then enable highlight border edges and make the edge width 4

this will show you some of the verticies that are overlapping but not joint, namely the ones that are on border edges because you'll see thick edges where the verts aren't merged

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D